Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes, I opened the 10mm drain screw located on water pump (replaced the copper washer also).

But that old forum thread I linked to in my post mentions an additional drain plug located on the cylinder block.

Bladeracer posted: "The manual explains how to "burp" the air out of the cooling system. Drain it from wherever you prefer. If you use the drain screws on the pump or block be aware the coolant will come out horizontally so be ready to catch it."

And here is another post mentioning the cylinder block drain port: http://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-fireblade/5247-coolant-drain-plug.html

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Yes, I opened the 10mm drain screw located on water pump (replaced the copper washer also).

But that old forum thread I linked to in my post mentions an additional drain plug located on the cylinder block.

Bladeracer posted: "The manual explains how to "burp" the air out of the cooling system. Drain it from wherever you prefer. If you use the drain screws on the pump or block be aware the coolant will come out horizontally so be ready to catch it."

And here is another post mentioning the cylinder block drain port: http://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-fireblade/5247-coolant-drain-plug.html

Neither of the threads you posted refer to the 900RR.
Does it say in the manual that it has an engine drain plug?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now I see that those posts were for 929 :crap:

The downloaded service manual I have isnt very clear. There is a photo that has an "Air Bleed Tube" shown in section/page 8-9. But it says its for 95~97.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Now I see that those posts were for 929 :crap:

The downloaded service manual I have isnt very clear. There is a photo that has an "Air Bleed Tube" shown in section/page 8-9. But it says its for 95~97.

An air bleed would not be a drain plug, air would be at the top of the system, drains are at the bottom.
If you can't find a plug, and the manual doesn't show one, then I would guess the engine doesn't have one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, thanks for the info bladeracer. just trying to drain as much of the old coolant as possible without removing hoses or flushing.

2 other questions -

Can you explain how the reserve tank functions?

How to fill and bleed the system?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
ok, thanks for the info bladeracer. just trying to drain as much of the old coolant as possible without removing hoses or flushing.

2 other questions -

Can you explain how the reserve tank functions?

How to fill and bleed the system?

There really won't be much trapped in the engine.
The reservoir only functions when the engine gets hot enough to blow the relief valve in the radiator cap. The return valve then draws coolant back from the reservoir as the engine cools.
If you never let the engine get that hot then you don't need the reservoir.
Follow the directions in the manual, bikes often have their own bleed techniques.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts