Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot seem to get a clear understanding on this.

When draining the coolant on my fireblade '05.
Can i not simply loosen the radiator hose going towards the waterpump ONLY to drain the coolant or do i really need to loosen the waterpump bolt.Why is it indicated in the workshop manual as being the only way ? If i loosen the radiator hose will the coolant from the waterpump not drain out anyway ?

The reason i ask:

1. Contrary to the workshop manual indicating to drain fluid from the waterpump bolt. Honda when i asked them themselves told me they don't loosen the waterpump bolt, they drain coolant via the radiator pipe.

So is it or is it not neccesary to drain coolant from the waterpump bolt ?

2. I don't have a torque wrench, mine got stolen 4 weeks ago. So chances of stripping the bolt is possible.

3. I am battling to get the copper washer from Honda. And they charge an arm and a leg for it at my country's branch.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Called Honda again today, the copper washer still have not arrived, the job has been delayed for almost a week because of this washer that i cannot get.

What problems might i face if i only drain from the lower radiator hose ?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just go ahead and pull the hose, get the job done.
The ssue might be that the bolt/dain may be a little lower and provides a more complete drain. Additionaly, is there riom to pull the hose with the bidywork in place? Honda may have provided this method to reduce dealer service labor.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
why are you draining it? If its to replace the coolant with fresh then you could simply flush the little but of water that is left in the pump using distilled/de-ionised water, then refill.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Try tipping the bike over to the left or sucking it out for now I suppose.
Indeed thanks exactly what i went ahead and did, you are right quite a bit came out when steeply tipping the bike.
I had the misfortune to drop the bike on the stand side with stand up at one stage.. at least it was not a full drop, still it hurt hearing her bite the floor ... some scrathes but will patch it up.

Anyhow this coolant flush i started 1pm midday finished 3 am next morning. I could just not get all the green milky coolant out until the very last flush.

Needless to say i wont be doing this anytime soon again but at least now my coolant system is sparkling fresh.

Thanks for all the help !

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
why are you draining it? If its to replace the coolant with fresh then you could simply flush the little but of water that is left in the pump using distilled/de-ionised water, then refill.
The bike i bought over just a while ago and the guy seemed to have put in green car coolant in addition the reserve was gunked up looked like a swamp... needless to say the flush was quite "labour intensive" so glad it is DONE !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts