Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

coolant eruption!

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  aznpersuasion 
#1 ·
Yet another issue. While burping coolant after replacing fan switch it got to about 200 degrees ( I assume the tstat opens around then) first a few bubbles then a freaking eruption. I'm assuming it's exhaust gases interim the coolant since oil looks fine. So would it be easier to just take out the first two mount bolts and tilt the motor down to remove head or is it in fact easier in the long run to just remove the frame all together.

#2 · (Edited)
What makes you think it's more than just a pocket of air? I recently changed a water pump on my truck and while burping it I took an unexpected facefull. What exactly do you mean by an eruption?

#8 ·
Yeah, that looks like the thermostat has opened and the pump is working and pushing the coolant into the side of the radiator and it's splashing out. I would start it again when it's cool, then burp it as the manual says and top it off again while giving it a little throttle then cap it. Do all of this a little on the quick side. You might get a little overflow but no eruptions if you do it before everything is 200 degrees. Make sure the overflow reservoir is full and take it for a ride. As long as all the air is out the coolant level will be alright after the thermostat and radiator cap open.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.