Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm back with my 1991 ST1100

I have a coolant leak (it appears at the hose connection) How hard it is to get to the hoses? Also, are new hoses "custom bent" or are they flexible enough to just wrap thru the system?

Any other comments or helpful suggestions?

thanks

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
If you can see the hex on the hose clamp, you can probably tighten it with a swivel socket if needed. If you can't see it, then you may have to remove some body work. A tweak is all it needs maybe.

New hoses are generally come preshaped anymore. They would kink otherwise and don't fit as neatly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried tightening...thought I had it...but then it started again...if I need a new hose...do I take the old one to a dealer? Can they order without it? I'm assuming it can be done by a novice person (me :)

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
You really should see precisely where the leak is coming for first. Does it tend to leak when the engine is hot or more when cold? You can order the hose at the dealer without the old one with you providing you are able to identify it's location and shape on a parts picture they will have.

As far as replacing it yourself goes, I don't know your knowledge but it may be over your head as some body work will need to be removed, you will lose most of your coolant and the cooling system will need to be purged of air and so on. A service manual would be of great help if you don't have one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it begins to smoke when I start the bike...it's the top hose...I do have a service manual....

should I replace all the hoses since I'll have it "torn down" or just the suspected culprit?

·
Registered
72 Posts
it begins to smoke when I start the bike...it's the top hose...I do have a service manual....

should I replace all the hoses since I'll have it "torn down" or just the suspected culprit?
replacing all hoses is the best part. coz when u replace one hose the weakness goes to another one..and so on..since the machine is old so generally new spare can take the load easily then pressure try to find weakest point from where it can leak again so I feel change all the hoses.
I had this problem in on of my toyota corolla every after one day i used to replace hose.. finally i got pissed off n change the hoses n sorted out the issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts