Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Fellas,

I've noticed that my coolant is always overflowing from the overflow bottle, shouldn't there be a pipe that drains the coolant out nicely rather than just dribbling out around the rubber cap?

I think I put a bit too much coolant in when I changed it the last time so I dont 'think it's a leaky head gasket problem or anything like that, the coolant is very clean green, no oily residue or anything like that, so I think it's a matter of just too much coolant in the system when the it expands and me leaning the bike over when cornering.

and me being too lazy to pull the fairing off to drain maybe 100ml out, the bike runs fine, holds a good temperature etc. etc.

any thoughts? other than I'm a lazy prick ;)

Cheers

Ben.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NinerPilot said:
The reservoir shouldnt be full. You need to take some out if it is... Better to take the 30 minutes it might take, than to have coolant drip on your tire and go for a slide.
Chris

it's not full, but it's not exactly below the high mark either, and I can see how it might reach the opening when leaning. I'll drain it, I didn't think the coolant might reach a tyre, but as you said, it's better than sliding up the road :)

I thought there was a hose that directed the overflow out the back next to the fuel overflow pipe, perhaps mine is blocked or pinched.

Thanks

Ben.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Most coolant expansion tanks don't have overflow lines. This is because the tank is there to catch the overflow from the radiator as it expands. The fluid level in the overflow tank should be at the full when cold line.

The two overflow lines that exit the fairing behind the engine are for the fuel tank.

Coolant shouldn't be coming out of the tank when the bike is leaning in a curve because centripetal force will keep it to the bottom of the tank. I may climb the front or back of the tank during acceleration and braking though.

I would pull some fluid out before you end up high siding from a slick rear tire.

Keith

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
The plastic coolant tank on the 929 has two hoses connected to it. The lower hose is the inlet line that runs from the radiator. The upper hose connects at the top of the coolant tank and is the overflow line that routes to the rear of the bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts