Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

coolant

4K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  bigkid 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

just wondering how long is too long to run the bike on just water, I know the racers use water only, are you supposed to put coolant when it's just sitting there between races? I've been running mine for about a week on just water as I cant face pulling the bike half to bits again to just add coolant and it's due for a service in a couple of weeks.

Is 3 weeks of coolant free operation going to cause issues?

thanks

Ben.

#3 ·
I thought the whole idea of race bikes running water only was to make it not really slippery if the coolant spilt on the track? doesn't water wetter have the slippery effect? I've never used it before so I don't know.

I think I'll just chuck a full load of coolant in- if I've taken the fairing off enough to get to the radiator cap the jobs almost done- just pull the water pump hose and leak a bit out

thanks

Ben.

#8 ·
What they said - distilled, and run as long as you would run normal coolant (what's that, 2-3 years?), if freezing temperatures are not a concern.

#11 ·
Thanks for that info

Conveniently, the riding season in Michigan is about 3 months long......

Seriously, I'm putting a big sign in my garage to drain it out after the last track day in sept.

#13 ·
never2old : Quote (CBRVFR @ Aug. 19 2003, 1:13am)I'm under the impression that you can run distilled water and Water Wetter indefinitely--- until it freezes. Perhaps not a problem down under??
According to Dan Kyle you need to change water/water wetter every 3 months.  Actually he recommends coolant if you are not on the track.
I'd say this is very wise info.

I lost the water pump seal on my 929, and only changed the distilled water/water wetter once a year, when I'd drain out the winter coolant.

If you must run water, make sure it is distilled, otherwise the mineral deposits will foul the rad and pump.

#14 ·
Anybody want to talk about engine ice (the product, not the cracked block thing). Engine Ice is track safe, won't freeze, needs to be changed once a year. Also, I have done a lot of trial and error with my 03 rc51. Temps with engine ice are cooler than distilled and water wetter. The rc51 is a heat factory and I run no fans so I know what it is to watch a temp guage like a test scientist. I tried several products to keep my bike cool and Engine Ice was the best.

#15 ·
bigkid : Anybody want to talk about engine ice (the product, not the cracked block thing). Engine Ice is track safe, won't freeze, needs to be changed once a year. Also, I have done a lot of trial and error with my 03 rc51. Temps with engine ice are cooler than distilled and water wetter. The rc51 is a heat factory and I run no fans so I know what it is to watch a temp guage like a test scientist. I tried several products to keep my bike cool and Engine Ice was the best.
Actually I don't think it's approved for use at many tracks. Their ad says it's AMA approved but that doesn't mean it's okay to run on the track. There's another thread on this somewhere...

#16 ·
Actually I don't think it's approved for use at many tracks.  Their ad says it's AMA approved but that doesn't mean it's okay to run on the track.  There's another thread on this somewhere...

???? Better tell 50 percent of the racers out at MAM and lots around the country. ICE and WETTER is all we use around here. Of the local racers, I watch them pass tech all the time with engine ice at tracks around the country. Engine ice has no slippery glycol. And the best thing is you won't have to worry about freezing. I know two racers that hit a freak snow storm coming back from Kansas. Broke blocks inside of an hour.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.