Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased some new crush washers today for brake line replacement. I think most of us would replace old for new when it comes to brakes - and for such a small cost is the correct thing to do.

However, during my search I saw a YT video about 'restoring' them:

I'm not too sure this is a viable solution to save money. Putting aside the time and effort invested in restoring these washers, my view is that the molecular structure of the copper is forever changed after being torqued to the appropriate tolerance. Consequently, the resilience or elasticity of the washer is compromised and (to me) will not seal as effectively as a fresh piece of copper.

Sure, I am rambling on over a £3.53 purchase for 20 washers ( 20x HEL Motorcycle Bike Car Brake Line Banjo Bolt Copper Crush Washers M10 hose | eBay ) but I thought this an interesting topic for discussion.

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,045 Posts
The only copper crush washer I reuse is the one on the water pump to drain it. It’s never leaked. To add to that, I don’t like copper crush washers on brake line banjos. Let me clarify that, I don’t like copper crush washers on break banjos that are made of aluminum. I’ve gone back from aluminum banjos and bolts, to steel. Therefore, I am able to use the OEM Honda brake banjo crush washers, which I believe are aluminum. It’s just a quirk for me, I just never liked the copper for the brakes.

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^

Interesting. I only went for copper because one of our major brake line suppliers (HEL) uses copper. Back in my apprentice days, copper was used extensively in industry as you'd well be aware. Think 'old habits' and all that!! (y)

·
Registered
10 Posts
4.00ea ,when nothing is wrong with them?,im using them over,oem are shit ton better quality than china junk on ebay also

1 - 8 of 8 Posts