Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Installing new chain and sprockets on my 929. Would it be ill advised to run one less link and run the adjusters most of the way in. Probably the wrong way to go about it, but I wouldn't mind if my 929 was slightly more sc28-ish in character.

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
I can't imagine anyone would notice such a minor difference. The installed link reduces the wheelbase by the distance of only half a link because the amount is taken up by both the top and bottom of the chain.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Drag racers think it's worth it make the effort to go the other way. In stock wheelbase class they add link(s) to get the maximum wheelbase allowed by the swing arm's axle slots.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Decided to stay stock. Definitely more like it should be just having the adjusters back into the brand new positiion. With a worn chain and adjusters getting into the red. She seems to have a run wide tendency. new ek zvx3 520 chain and sprockets. Probably could have gone -1 front or -1 both, but she responds fine.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
surely you have to take out 2 links... the "She seems to have a run wide tendency " is almost certainly suspension setup. too little weight/grip at the front, and I bet its worse on accelerating out of tighter bends (i.e. roundabouts if you have any!).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya I have a feeling it's not set up right. Bike likes a lot of upper body language to keep the intended line. Like to put it in squid terms the "chicken strips" are all but gone, though I wouldn't say I was going all that fast. It's missing that fireblade "lithe". Reminds me of my first gen bandits. only stiffer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts