Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Honda CBR919RR
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I got new LED HEADLIGHTS FOR MY 1998 CBR919RR I went for a ride all good no problems. Then installed the head lights and went for a ride when it got dark. Soon as I left, The bike cut out for a second then back to normal. Did it again a few minutes laster. Stoped and checked everything but all seemed good. So I decided to keep riding see if it would do it again. Happened a few more times. Then back fired and cut out 2 different times when switching to high beam. then I stoped again. (now 3 miles from home).. but saw nothing out of the normal.. I unplugged one head light and headed home with out using high beam,but it got worse. Then it stared cutting out and back firing at about 3000 rpm making me up shift to kick back on and staying under 3000 rpm in each gear. Got home unplugged both head lights. Starts right up but won't rev more than 2000 rpm with out curing out but doesn't die.. help any idea. Never had problems before this..

·
Registered
1998 Honda CBR919RR
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update. So I tore it down and went over everything and the plugs on my coil pack was half unplugged from my ride the day prior to this I'm thinking.. so I decided to leave the headlights in there so I would know if that was it or not. I put it back together went for a test ride. It did good on a short ride. Then the next day when I was riding and when I really gave it power it would cut out on me still, but it's not backfiring anymore.. so I switch the headlights out. Now waiting for the rain to stop to try it out. Seem odd tho. I did go over everything but don't mean I didn't miss something.. thank you guys for your input. Look forward to more if anyone thinks of something.. all keep you all up to date..

·
Registered
1998 Honda CBR919RR
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Solved problem.
It wound up being the lights.. I guess the problem is I ended up getting the lights it called for but they weren't motorcycle headlights.. must have been too much for the bike. The plus side is I found a couple other problems while going over it. as I mentioned earlier that I wouldn't have known about if it wasn't for this happening.. it runs great again. Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Solved problem.
It wound up being the lights.. I guess the problem is I ended up getting the lights it called for but they weren't motorcycle headlights.. must have been too much for the bike. The plus side is I found a couple other problems while going over it. as I mentioned earlier that I wouldn't have known about if it wasn't for this happening.. it runs great again. Thanks for the help everyone.
I’m sorry but motorcycle headlights aren’t different than any other headlights. It’s all a 12volt light. What were the “couple other problems”? The wrong headlight will not plug into the right headlight socket. Just sayin. SMH

·
Registered
1998 Honda CBR919RR
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m sorry but motorcycle headlights aren’t different than any other headlights. It’s all a 12volt light. What were the “couple other problems”? The wrong headlight will not plug into the right headlight socket. Just sayin. SMH
[/QUOTE
I agree with you and thought the same thing..
The other problems had nothing to do with it it was just minor things but even after I fixed them the bike still cut out on me and was acting up soon as I put the halogens back in that the bike came with it runs perfectly fine I've done it twice now and the only thing I can think of is they weren't specifically for the bike.. so I don't know what it could be they were 12,000 LED LOOM headlights With built-in cooling fans. IT acted like they were too much for the bike and would cut out. The other problem was one of my coil packs was partly unplugged which was causing it to backfire like turning it off and on.. so what would make me lose power only when the LED headlights were plugged in?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I was thinking that but it might be that the LED are some cheap Chinese things that pull a surge when switched between high/low and its causes a voltage drop somewhere (perhaps because of another issue such as a bad earth), which them manifested in the OP's issue, but as the lights were the only thing that has bene changes prior to the issue starting I thought that the sensible place to start fault finding!

·
Registered
1998 Honda CBR919RR
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was thinking that but it might be that the LED are some cheap Chinese things that pull a surge when switched between high/low and its causes a voltage drop somewhere (perhaps because of another issue such as a bad earth), which them manifested in the OP's issue, but as the lights were the only thing that has bene changes prior to the issue starting I thought that the sensible place to start fault finding!
What is a , ( bad Earth) and I don't know what the OP issue is nether. Also my buddy put the lights in his bike seems to work fine.. is it normal for my bike not to rev up or drive when the headlights are disconnected but will fire up an idle. I disconnected the headlights and went for a ride and it wouldn't go at all. But fine when there plugged in. This is all new to me and I'm grateful for your help

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,332 Posts
What is a , ( bad Earth) and I don't know what the OP issue is nether. Also my buddy put the lights in his bike seems to work fine.. is it normal for my bike not to rev up or drive when the headlights are disconnected but will fire up an idle. I disconnected the headlights and went for a ride and it wouldn't go at all. But fine when there plugged in. This is all new to me and I'm grateful for your help
A bad earth is the UK version of “ground”. Earth/Ground, same thing 👍.

The only reason I can think of that would make the bike not run properly if the headlights were “unplugged” would be the ground. That being said, I had a 99 900RR track bike that I gutted the wire harness on and only left the dash lights operable. No issues. I would try and trace all your grounds and plug you’re halogens back in and see what happens. You must have nicked something somewhere is my guess.

·
Registered
1998 Honda CBR919RR
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A bad earth is the UK version of “ground”. Earth/Ground, same thing 👍.

The only reason I can think of that would make the bike not run properly if the headlights were “unplugged” would be the ground. That being said, I had a 99 900RR track bike that I gutted the wire harness on and only left the dash lights operable. No issues. I would try and trace all your grounds and plug you me halogens back in and see what happens. You must have nicked something somewhere is my guess.
Ok that makes more sense to me. I'm in the us. I've only had this bike a little over a month now. I've had to replace a few things and get it back to were is should be..the bike runs great, have no issues other than the headlights, only when I put the LED in it or when the headlights are unplugged. I will look it over and see if the grounds are all good. At least with the stock headlights I have now problems with it. I love this bike, it's better than the GSXR600 I use to have. Thank you for your help. All let you know if I find something. You have been a big help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts