Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
This is exactly why we have the 2nd ammendment. To keep our military from pulling this kind of sorry shit without a fight.

I am not clued in to the political system in Thailand, from what I have read the Democratic Goverment that was in power is accused of corruption. Does anyone know much about the King?

Something tells me is the US Military wanted to over through the government, they would win. Their toys are better than ours.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
I don't understand why the people should be upset?

The PM was only elected in a landslide election, twice, and according to the military, their biggest complaint was that he was trying to modernize administration of the country using modern business management strategies.

Surely that means he should be overthrown?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
I am not clued in to the political system in Thailand, from what I have read the Democratic Goverment that was in power is accused of corruption. Does anyone know much about the King?
ACCUSED. By the military. And even if guilty, this is not how a stable democratic government is run.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
ACCUSED. By the military. And even if guilty, this is not how a stable democratic government is run.
I agree, there are ways to correct the situation democraticly.

As far as corruption, it's just how things are in Asia. Sure we have it here as well, but atleast in Indonesia it is out there and they do not try to hide it.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Something tells me is the US Military wanted to over through the government, they would win. Their toys are better than ours.
There are similar arguments about the sophistication of the US Military meaning civilians can't resist it, or add to it, in the Second Amendment thread I have going.

I find it incredible a generation that's watching/fighting/dying in Iraq, would make this statement.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts

You vastly underestimate the integrity of our military. If such a thing occured most of the rank and file would side with the citizens, couple that with armed citizens and you would be greatly suprised.

Even in the Thailand case the military is split and an armed populace could easily tip the balance to their favor.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You vastly underestimate the integrity of our military. If such a thing occured most of the rank and file would side with the citizens, couple that with armed citizens and you would be greatly suprised.

Even in the Thailand case the military is split and an armed populace could easily tip the balance to their favor.
I would agree with this. Every Soldier/Sailor/Airman/Marine pledges to "Uphold and Defend the Constitution of the United States".

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
There are similar arguments about the sophistication of the US Military meaning civilians can't resist it, or add to it, in the Second Amendment thread I have going.

I find it incredible a generation that's watching/fighting/dying in Iraq, would make this statement.

I would agree with this. Every Soldier/Sailor/Airman/Marine pledges to "Uphold and Defend the Constitution of the United States".
I realize all that, it was a failed attempt to be funny.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
May 1992: Gen. Suchinda's is forced from power when troops gun down at least 50 pro-democracy demonstrators in Bangkok. In the aftermath of the violence, his appointed prime minister resigns. King Bhumibol Adulyadej intervenes to end demonstrations, and parliament votes to reduce the power of the military in Thai politics.
As soldiers and armoured vehicles moved through drizzly Bangkok, the military declared a provisional authority loyal to King Bhumibol Adulyadej, calling itself the “Council of Administrative Reform.”

That is strange in '92 tries to reduce the power of military in politics and now seems to be backing the Military in it coup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The military in Thailand have an alegance to the King as is the case in the UK except it's the Queen, not the prime minister or his democratically voted government.

This is clearly not the case in the US as you have no King, nor history for that matter!

If Thaksin was corrupt which is most certainly the case and ran the country like a CEO but to his own gain (similar to ENRON) , were the military not correct in acting for the King in the interests of the country?

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
The military in Thailand have an alegance to the King as is the case in the UK except it's the Queen, not the prime minister or his democratically voted government.

This is clearly not the case in the US as you have no King, nor history for that matter!

If Thaksin was corrupt which is most certainly the case and ran the country like a CEO but to his own gain (similar to ENRON) , were the military not correct in acting for the King in the interests of the country?
We had a king but he wasn't worthy of us so we tossed him on his ass and started over.

As for having no history, you really need to get back in those history books, Mr. Smith.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
That's even stupider (yes, I said stupid-ER) than commenting on how a wheel moves when your bike is in neutral while being revved at 11,000rpm.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts