Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to pick up an aftermarket can so I'm gonna cut mine up and try to make a shorty out of it. After I'm done with it I might keep it or sell it, who knows.

Anyways, I have two questions. First of all, has anyone shortened the stock exhaust up? I took the end cap off but it looks like a car muffler in there. I thought it was impossible so I riveted it back up but now that I think of it, as long as I cut short, it should be possible.

Second - The cone in the midpipe that fits into the can. Is this just a spark arrestor or what does it do? If I cut it out, will it make the bike run bad or sound like crap? Will it shoot flames (that would be pretty cool :eyebrows:)?

By the way, I searched all the threads for "shorty exhaust". Found somebody who had done it, but no tips and only one pic.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm getting ready to pick up an aftermarket can so I'm gonna cut mine up and try to make a shorty out of it. After I'm done with it I might keep it or sell it, who knows.

Anyways, I have two questions. First of all, has anyone shortened the stock exhaust up? I took the end cap off but it looks like a car muffler in there. I thought it was impossible so I riveted it back up but now that I think of it, as long as I cut short, it should be possible.

Second - The cone in the midpipe that fits into the can. Is this just a spark arrestor or what does it do? If I cut it out, will it make the bike run bad or sound like crap? Will it shoot flames (that would be pretty cool :eyebrows:)?

By the way, I searched all the threads for "shorty exhaust". Found somebody who had done it, but no tips and only one pic.

i have a old D&D that ive been meaning to cut down aswell. from what i understand the process is just cut it and re-rivit the end back on. i would assue the cone is a flame/spark arrestor... my current pipe has no such device.. it will shoot some nice flames if its cold and you rev it a little :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A stock exhaust is like a car muffler, it has chambers inside. I've cut down aftermarket pipes before but when I opened the stock and saw what was inside, I just riveted it back together because I didn't want to ruin my only good muffler. Now that I'm getting another I want to have some fun with this one.

Nobody has cut down their stock pipe?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Any luck yet on finding someone who has cut down their stock muffler? Have you done it yourself yet Jeff? I just got a stock exhaust, moving from a fabricated gp style exhaust... and i wanna cut the stock muffler down too. How did you re-rivet it?

·
Registered
378 Posts
The cone in the pipe does not stop it from shooting flames, With my D&D can it would shoot flames all the time. Who knows why Honda uses it LOL

·
Registered
342 Posts
prettymuch every aftermarket exhaust i have seen is basically just a glorified glasspack.. essentially,a porous tube wrapped in fiberglass fluff, then inserted into a can of some sort..

A stock exhaust has chambers and cant really be turned into a shorty.. but a glasspack style can. i would gut the stock exhaust, take some hardware cloth or even just some heavily perforated aluminum plate (rolled into a tube ov course), some fiberglass fluff, and just cram it all back into the original can and in essence create your own "aftermarket exhaust". from there you could cut it into s horty or whatever

1 - 7 of 7 Posts