Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 929 has been track-only for a few years now. I've removed all the other lights, but still have the headlight in there. Taped over, of course. I'd like to take it out, but I don't want to get track fairings. I like the street fairings and I'm happy to keep them on for the track.

The issue is, if I remove the headlight, I'm going to have a big hole there that needs covering up. Are there any store-bought solutions (i.e. fibreglass number plates in that shape, etc), or do I have to make my own? Has anyone ever done this before?

I'm thinking of laser cutting a piece of light-gauge stainless steel and then bending/shaping it to fit the curve of the front fairing. I'd have to figure out a way to attach it to the inside of the fairing or a stay or something.

Anyway, before I start this little art-and-crafts project, I thought I'd ask the community if they've seen this before.

--- D

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
My 929 has been track-only for a few years now. I've removed all the other lights, but still have the headlight in there. Taped over, of course. I'd like to take it out, but I don't want to get track fairings. I like the street fairings and I'm happy to keep them on for the track.

The issue is, if I remove the headlight, I'm going to have a big hole there that needs covering up. Are there any store-bought solutions (i.e. fibreglass number plates in that shape, etc), or do I have to make my own? Has anyone ever done this before?

I'm thinking of laser cutting a piece of light-gauge stainless steel and then bending/shaping it to fit the curve of the front fairing. I'd have to figure out a way to attach it to the inside of the fairing or a stay or something.

Anyway, before I start this little art-and-crafts project, I thought I'd ask the community if they've seen this before.

--- D

I run race glass on my 929 so I cut a hole and mounted a single CBR250RR headlight in there. I made a headlight shell from a short length of 100mm PVC sewer pipe stuck to the fairing with silicone. The circle that I cut out I just tape over the hole when I have the headlight removed.
You could try emailing the various fibreglass fairing manufacturers as somebody must do a headlight cover. Or pick up a damaged headlight, cut the back of it away, paint it and tape or clip it into the hole as required.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Personally.. I would just try and get a track nose peice.. That way its simply done.

If I can start track riding a lot. I will personally be buying full track fairing, its cheaper then OEM stuff

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Personally.. I would just try and get a track nose peice.. That way its simply done.

If I can start track riding a lot. I will personally be buying full track fairing, its cheaper then OEM stuff
I agree, but I already own the OEM stuff, so it costs me nothing. Hard to find anything cheaper than that.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EBAY! :welcome:
You've seen these on ebay? What are they called? I've searched for headlight covers, motorcycle headlight covers, etc., but all I've seen are tinted covers for actual headlights.

If you've seen something like what I'm talking about here, let me know.

Thanks.

--- D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts