Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do yall feel about the safety of leather cowboy boots when riding?

I have a pair that go up to the knee and they are very comfortable.

Would yall trust these to protect your feet and ankle in a crash?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Well I reckon with respect to abrasion issues they might work, but, there is very little protection the spurs would give ya from impact absorbtion or support.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wear ropers or high top sneakers sometimes but if I'm going to be busting it I wear riding boots -

Spurs...hahaha :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
as far as road rash i would say maybe they would work. the reason some "Harley" style boots have the metal ring on the side is if you low side and get your leg stuck under the bike while sliding. That way it helps prevent u from having your ankles ground off on the pavement. I would spring for the riding boots and leave the cowboy boots for the keith urban concerts and the PBR. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
582 Posts
No, buy some good bike boots if you want to keep your feet and ankles in the event of accident, you don't want the " omg, i wished i had bought some boots, as now need to buy some feet"

Ebay ! bought mine second hand without a make on them for £30

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Would you wear a Stetson as a helmet?

Ha ha just kidding, of course not quite the same thing, but cowboy boots would not offer the same protection as a good set of motorcycle boots.

·
Registered
318 Posts
No, buy some good bike boots if you want to keep your feet and ankles in the event of accident, you don't want the " omg, i wished i had bought some boots, as now need to buy some feet"

Ebay ! bought mine second hand without a make on them for £30

£30 for a second hand pair of feet. Thats a good price. :smilebig:

I came off my bike and that landed straight on my right ankle. If i had not been wearing my boots i would have really sustained some damage. That said after that i went out and bought a new pair just in case my boots had been weekend by the impact. Just as you would a helmet. It only takes a slow spill to do some real damage.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
No. There's no ankle support. Get a good pair of motorcycle-specific riding boots, and make sure they have armor in the ankle and shin. (not all do).

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
And the soles of those things can be pretty slick, leading you to drop your bike on a slick or gravelly surface. Please don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
No offence but how many horse powers does a horse have? And what about your bike? :O

:plus1:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Dont you listen too them, if you want to ride with cowboy boots go for it, i did for years as my bike was my only transport that way i could go to a pub or club without looking out of place, always wore proper bike boots all other times. One thing you have to bear in mind the boots will give you a good amount of protection, but if you come off and break you ankle its going to hurt like hell when you yank them off.....:eyebrows:

·
Registered
745 Posts
Its swings and round abouts for me...

I wear full kit every day to work and wouldnt dream of wearing anything else... but nipping to the shop i with throw on some stiff leather boots (not designed for riding) with some jeans and my textile to get me there.

it is worth bearing in mind... in 2006 when i was knocked off my CBR600, i was wearing my 3 day old SMX-Plus boots. If i had not got these on i would have lost or seriously screwed up my ankle. the car pulled out from the left and hit my left boot full force. Squashing it between the car and bike!

the mark on her number plate is off my boot.....

the hole is my foot peg.....

what you cant see is the massive dent oin her bonnet from my head.

or, the 5 minutes of abuse i gave her once i had picked the bike and misses up out the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Absolutely NOT,them boots are for horses,! keep them for that and wear proper bike boots for bikes,dont be a fool like me ! If i had been wearin my proper boots at the time,i might still have a left foot ! And i only poppped out to the garage for 5mins,take a telling ! Dont be a plonker:thumb:

·
Registered
21,175 Posts
Absolutely NOT,them boots are for horses,! keep them for that and wear proper bike boots for bikes,dont be a fool like me ! If i had been wearin my proper boots at the time,i might still have a left foot ! And i only poppped out to the garage for 5mins,take a telling ! Dont be a plonker:thumb:

Very true exblader, dont want to rub it in but when I slid down the road with the bike on my leg, without the proper boots, I would have been in the same boat as yourself

·
Registered
745 Posts
Hi setanta,no worries mate,the more good advice the better
that was kinda my point too....
I think i would have a very crumpled foot without the boots.

What ever you decide, ride safe

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hey think about it ya'll, at least they are better than Flip Flops....

·
Registered
2,684 Posts

I have a pair that go up to the knee and they are very comfortable.

Would yall trust these to protect your feet and ankle in a crash?
Cowboy boots that go up to your knees.. either you have very short legs, or some kind of fetish for womans boots hahahaha.

I have worn mine in the past.. I couldnt stand it! Never again will I do that.
As for safety, they are not safe at all for that. flimsy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts