Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out riding my RR4 one day recently when I got a sudden major oil leak. It turned out to be the rocker cover gasket. This was fixed and 300 miles later the same thing happened but accompanied by a bang and puff of smoke.

Man at garage (ex Honda technician) says its a faulty generator causing sparks and igniting fumes which has burst the gasket. He says it was a fault on the rr4 model rectified later and I now need a new generator/flywheel assembly.

I've never heard of this and wondered if anyone else had experienced or knows of it?

·
Registered
931 Posts
There is a very long thread on this somewhere. Yes it happens, but I have never heard a belivable reason for the alternator causing this. In a nutshell, how can the alternator generate enough energy to ignite blow-by fumes and certainly not oil. Only if neat petrol was seeping into the crankcase could there be any possibility of such a thing happening. Far more likely to be a breather fault allowing crankcase pressures to rise to such levels.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Far more likely to be a breather fault allowing crankcase pressures to rise to such levels.
My first thought as well, just reading the title.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts