Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Crankcase ventilation

768 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  oldbastard 
#1 ·
Evening fellow blade riders, seem to have an issue with my cbr929, there seems to be a fair amount of engine oil in the air box plus if I ride it hard then leave it a while to cool down then restart I get oil burning smoke from the exhaust for about 40secs then it clears. My question is, is there a crankcase breather on these motors which can block or could it be excessive blow by causing oil to be in the air box and sitting in the throttle bodies, engine runs fine and pulls hard.

#5 ·
The oil in the airbox - I guess it is getting into the engine (again) via some starter air holes. The only other way in is via the valve stems seals, and to produce a cloud of smoke implies that the oil has run down during the shutdown period and puddled against the closed valves. But then again, the entrance to the valve stem seals is some way off the floor of the head, and that is never very deep in oil. Hmmm.
Drawing Engine Illustration Auto part

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.