Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with Creatine? I've been thinking about trying it out, would like to hear from someone who's used it and knows what they're talking about.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
:rotfl:

I use BSN's NoExplode (pre workout) and Cell mass (post). I love these 2 products, but they are expensive, the most expensive creatine on the market I think. The NoExplode is "speedy" trying to get you amped up to workout. Some people don't like it. It can also be hard on your stomach if you take on empty as they recommend (my buddy had problems with this when he switched to it). I drink a protein shake in the morning and eat some oatmeal too, so I don't take it on empty nor have problems.

I like it very much. I seem to have real problems with overtraining, and the creatine noticably helps muscle recovery. A friend has problems with carpel tunnel, and when he goes off creatine (any brand), he has problems. When he's saturated, there are none.

It will add 10 pounds of mostly water retention in muscle quickly, but after that the only gains are if you are still training to your new, higher limits.

I think a trainer told me the best advice about it several years ago, "if drinking creatine makes you workout more, it's well worth the money".

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not looking for a lot more bulk, I'm more concerned with tone. I mix my routine up quite a bit but I've hit some plateaus... I'm at about 175lbs with 11% body fat, would like to be same weight with 6%.

If you go off creatine do you lose that mass right away? If I could up my limits, go off of it and keep my same weights that would make for pretty good progress.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Well it's probably worth a try. Just remember that your results may vary.

Do you know how creatine works? Basically it allows you to recover more quickly not necessarily between workouts, although this may be the case, but more really to recover between sets allowing you to be more rested for each set and therefore train harder. The harder you can train the more you can grow. In theory anyway.

The research has shown that it does basically nothing for endurance atheletes, and is really only good for explosive types of movements in sports like, football, hockey, baseball. Etc. Please don't ask me for a link, b/c this was research that I (and my wife who has a Master's in Developmental Kinesiology) read in college.

It's very safe, and usually you take it in two phases. A loading phase and a maintainence phase.

I've used it before and it made me just look puffy. I didn't notice any signifigant performance gains. But that's just me.

HD

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ReaperAZ said:
I tried it years ago. It really messed with my stomach, had to stop taking it cause it would make me sick from the pain. I give it :thumbd: :thumbd: .

I've had a couple friends that used it and would have "shit attacks" where they'd literally have to jump up and run to the crapper.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
phobiaphobe said:
I'm not looking for a lot more bulk, I'm more concerned with tone. I mix my routine up quite a bit but I've hit some plateaus... I'm at about 175lbs with 11% body fat, would like to be same weight with 6%.

If you go off creatine do you lose that mass right away? If I could up my limits, go off of it and keep my same weights that would make for pretty good progress.

The creatine itself doesn't give you more muscle mass. It just makes your muscles swell w/ water. In my case it made my love handles swell too. :idunno:

When you start to take it you can expect to see your weights go up, and then down again after you stop, however if you've trained properly they should fall to the levels they were at pre-creatine use.

For your goals, I wouldn't recomend using creatine. Personally. I would use some type of fat burner. It's really too bad that you can't get ephedra anymore b/c it really was a good product that a few stiffs ruined for the rest of us. Take a fat burner, up the cardio, and do supersets w/ small amounts of rest between your supersets. OH, and watch what you eat. THe less fat you have to lose, the harder it is to lose it.

HD

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Hmmm... Interesting responses.

Creating is a natural substance in your muscles which helps them regain energy quickly allowing you to get more from your workouts. In itself, it does not make you stronger although you may think so because it retains water in your muscles making them look bigger. Some people feel that when they take too much creatine, they feel bloated; it's plausible but I have never had that effect.

The goal for using creatine is to get it into your system before and during a workout so that you can do more within the same amount of time. i.e. Less rest between sets. Personally I used it this way for workouts but it was also very effective for sports that requires you to regain energy quickly throughout the match... i.e. Dragon boat or football etc. You can give it your 110% and your next time on the field you'll be revitalized much quicker allowing to give it 110% the next time out without as much fading.

As far as I have heard, there are no medical studies that prove or disprove that creatine is harmful to your body.

Lastly, I found a good combination with the basics. Creatine before the workout (about 1 hour), then creatine in my hydration bottle while I workout and finally protein whey after the workout to allow your muscles to heal. This cycle of hurt your muscles then fix your muscles is what it's all about; Creatine and whey accelerate each of those processes so should help you. Keep the "Moderation of all things" philosophy in your mind and you'll be safe.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
p.s. in response to Heavy-Dee's comments that your weights come down after you stop using. My personal experience is that using creatine accelerate the rate at which I could increase the weight I was lifting and when I stopped using creatine the rate at which I could increase the weight declined - It did *not* decrease my strength.

Uhm... Did I misread that? Did Heavy-Dee mean that you gained weight and lost weight depending on if you were using or not using? That is true because you retain more water.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What would be better for cardio?

A. 15-20 minute warm-up before weights

or

B. no warm up during before weights but a dedicated "cardio day" where I do 60 min. plus?

THe reason I ask is that when I warm up on the treadmill I get a bit fatigued and my weight training suffers. I haven't done my usual 15 minute uphill run on the treadmill for the last few weeks and I've managed to up all of my weights. But I still want to work a cardio routine in there somehow. I'm at the gym at least 3, sometimes 4 nights a week.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
nomad said:
p.s. in response to Heavy-Dee's comments that your weights come down after you stop using. My personal experience is that using creatine accelerate the rate at which I could increase the weight I was lifting and when I stopped using creatine the rate at which I could increase the weight declined - It did *not* decrease my strength.

Uhm... Did I misread that? Did Heavy-Dee mean that you gained weight and lost weight depending on if you were using or not using? That is true because you retain more water.

Use creatine = body weight and lifted weight should increase.
Stop using = both will probably drop.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
phobiaphobe said:

or

B. no warm up during before weights but a dedicated "cardio day" where I do 60 min. plus?

THe reason I ask is that when I warm up on the treadmill I get a bit fatigued and my weight training suffers. I haven't done my usual 15 minute uphill run on the treadmill for the last few weeks and I've managed to up all of my weights. But I still want to work a cardio routine in there somehow. I'm at the gym at least 3, sometimes 4 nights a week.
What are you eating before you do this?

If you do a solid 60 mins of cardio, and then try to go lift with any intensity, your weight training will always suffer.

If you're trying to get "toned", I wouldn't mess with creatine.

Instead, focus on keeping your heart rate up by not taking long breaks between sets on the weights. My heart rate is pretty much the same at the end of my workout, as it is when I get off the bike from warming up. (roughly 150)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
phobiaphobe said:

or

The latest studies show that you cardio and weight sessions burn the same amount of fat. If you are strictly concerned about fatigue, creatine will help that. However, it really depends on what your goals are. My personal preference/goal for working out was "to be healthy" so I did both cardio and weights on the same day. If your goal is to bulk up then skip the daily cardio. If your goal is to burn fat get on the rowing machine for an hour of proper technique. :evilaugh: (Properly done, most people can't do the rowing machine for more than 15-30 minutes while they are new. Keyword "proper")

If you are only doing weight sessions, only do light stretching (if at all) before you start. Anything more than that may cause you to over extend your muscles in a bad way.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts