Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to think I've been using too many gears. At 45 mph, I can choose between about 3500 RPM in 4th gear, or closer to 4k in 3rd.

I was just wondering where you guys normally keep yours???

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
1pcbr said:
I'm starting to think I've been using too many gears. At 45 mph, I can choose between about 3500 RPM in 4th gear, or closer to 4k in 3rd.

I was just wondering where you guys normally keep yours???
You'll get lots of varied response on that question....personally, I keep mine above 5k when cruising... :twocents:

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
If you ain't bumpin' off the rev limiter, you ain't ridin'!

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
4K minimum on long cruises for mileage
5K+ if you want snappier response
7K+ if you are in the hills running turns

#'s totally different on the Prehistoric Blade (aka Ascot) I would imagine I would vary these numbers for an RC due to twin vs inline4 torque.

·
Registered
26 Posts
bwhip said:
I keep it up around 6K plus normally - the higher revs will give me better engine braking should I encounter any surprises along the way...
So you drive faster in order to brake faster ? :eek:
Thats something to remember

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
errorken said:

Not necessarily, just doesn't upshift that much. Instead of cruising at 65 in 6th gear, he might do that in 5th or 4th. Lower gear=higher rpm at speed.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
errorken said:

Good excuse to a cop though:

"Honest officer, the engine helps me brake better at 100 Mph." Cut to scene where Chain is stuffin' said member into a mailbox. Bacchus and other little people go in PO Boxes. :evilaugh:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, thanks. I'll raise it up some, and I won't need near as many gear changes on the way to work and back.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Remember that you are in a lower gear. Next thing ya know you give some throttle, your front comes up and you are the six o'clock news with the other stunnas.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
sheepofblue said:
4K minimum on long cruises for mileage
5K+ if you want snappier response
7K+ if you are in the hills running turns

#'s totally different on the Prehistoric Blade (aka Ascot) I would imagine I would vary these numbers for an RC due to twin vs inline4 torque.
Best economy is typically achieved close to peak torque (unless throttle is full open or shut!). Peak torque varies with model, exhaust, etc., but is higher than most people expect.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
oldfogey said:
Best economy is typically achieved close to peak torque (unless throttle is full open or shut!). Peak torque varies with model, exhaust, etc., but is higher than most people expect.
hmm I always figured keeping the rpms low when cruising would give best mileage. lately I have been riding mine in lower gears to keep the rpms up (some of it cause I like the sound of the exhaust and some cause its nice having more power right there). Around town I hardly ever even get to third gear. I have a lot of trouble with the slow asses driving like 25mph around here because it keeps me in first and its so boring.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts