Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would cause no spark and no codes? New battery, new plugs, new ECU, new wiring harness, I'll ask the shop but I know that there is more to it. Desert Cycles in 29 palms, CA. These guys are really stumped, have called Honda and still cannot figure it out. Funny thing, my buddy Mike has the same bike year make model, tried swapping components "with his permission, of course" his bike runs, mine won't. I will gather all other amplifying information tomorrow to continue this. I wonder if there is a failed failsafe switch that is shorted that could cause a "no spark" condition, fuel is present, and flows and pressurizes, air is ....... well duh! air, it is certainly present, and spark is the only thing missing, I witnessed this firsthand before giving it up to the shop. This bike was purchased from another owner who rode her until she wouldn't start, who also took it to a Honda shop and they couldn't figure it out. I bought it from him, thinking this should be relatively easy to fix. Are the keys coded, or do they have a chip? I know cars, this was supposed to be an easy flip, buy cheap, fix easy, sell high project, but is obviously much more than that.

thanks for any and all help,

Sgt Kevin A. Davies, USMC

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
What would cause no spark and no codes? New battery, new plugs, new ECU, new wiring harness, I'll ask the shop but I know that there is more to it. Desert Cycles in 29 palms, CA. These guys are really stumped, have called Honda and still cannot figure it out. Funny thing, my buddy Mike has the same bike year make model, tried swapping components "with his permission, of course" his bike runs, mine won't. I will gather all other amplifying information tomorrow to continue this. I wonder if there is a failed failsafe switch that is shorted that could cause a "no spark" condition, fuel is present, and flows and pressurizes, air is ....... well duh! air, it is certainly present, and spark is the only thing missing, I witnessed this firsthand before giving it up to the shop. This bike was purchased from another owner who rode her until she wouldn't start, who also took it to a Honda shop and they couldn't figure it out. I bought it from him, thinking this should be relatively easy to fix. Are the keys coded, or do they have a chip? I know cars, this was supposed to be an easy flip, buy cheap, fix easy, sell high project, but is obviously much more than that.

thanks for any and all help,

Sgt Kevin A. Davies, USMC

The most likely reason for no spark is because one of the kill switches is preventing it. The most common in my experience is the kill switch fails because owners like to use it regularly to kill the engine instead of using the ignition switch.

·
Registered
993 Posts
This happend to my 929 when I made my custom undertail... I tripple checked the fuses, main breaker connections, the plug ins to the ECU (two of them), the plug ins on the fuel injectors (if you don't hear that 3 second whine of the fuel pump when you first turn the key)....

What it turned out to be was just one of the little wires on the harness going to the ECU was frayed... the bike would intermittently start and then die... still would power up and everything like your bike....

I'd suggest taking the front seat off, propping up the back of the tank good, and looking over the wire harness and the terminals themselves going to the ECU.

Mice like to live in that area on top of the starter (where the ECU harness is)... warm, room for nesting, and fun wires to chew on :mad:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so I know it has been a while since I first posted this one, but I have made some progress. I will give you the down-and-dirty on everything that has transpired. I bought the bike from previous owner, guy says he took it to an authorized Honda dealership to have the work done. I obviously don't believe him, and buy the bike anyway, the only problem he says it has is no-spark. I get it home, and replace the WAAAAAYYY dead battery, with a brand new high performance one. I checked all of the regular stuff, stator, safety switches, etc. I have long since forgotten if there were any codes when I ran the diagnostic, but I do not remember any, so I do not suppose it is of significance. it had new good fuel, and the injectors were spraying at a good pattern, but it would not start. Bike turns over like a champ, sounds good, but no spark. I pulled the plugs and verified. I gave up and sent it to a local shop "he should chime in soon and add his findings" I bought a brand new wiring harness, cpu, so that he could see if that were the problem. I even got my buddy Mike "a member here" to bring in his bike as a guinea pig. components were swapped from one bike to the next with no change to either. his bike would still run and mine still wouldn't. same year make and model, and both were Cali bikes "I understand there are some differences" any input or help from experts of the community would be awesome. Sufficed to say I believe the owners testimony now of an expert not being able to find the problem. I would like to review the wiring schematic so I can see if I can identify the problem at a common connection or something.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Ok, so I know it has been a while since I first posted this one, but I have made some progress. I will give you the down-and-dirty on everything that has transpired. I bought the bike from previous owner, guy says he took it to an authorized Honda dealership to have the work done. I obviously don't believe him, and buy the bike anyway, the only problem he says it has is no-spark. I get it home, and replace the WAAAAAYYY dead battery, with a brand new high performance one. I checked all of the regular stuff, stator, safety switches, etc. I have long since forgotten if there were any codes when I ran the diagnostic, but I do not remember any, so I do not suppose it is of significance. it had new good fuel, and the injectors were spraying at a good pattern, but it would not start. Bike turns over like a champ, sounds good, but no spark. I pulled the plugs and verified. I gave up and sent it to a local shop "he should chime in soon and add his findings" I bought a brand new wiring harness, cpu, so that he could see if that were the problem. I even got my buddy Mike "a member here" to bring in his bike as a guinea pig. components were swapped from one bike to the next with no change to either. his bike would still run and mine still wouldn't. same year make and model, and both were Cali bikes "I understand there are some differences" any input or help from experts of the community would be awesome. Sufficed to say I believe the owners testimony now of an expert not being able to find the problem. I would like to review the wiring schematic so I can see if I can identify the problem at a common connection or something.

You checked the bank angle sensor and the kill switch?

·
Registered
921 Posts
The most likely reason for no spark is because one of the kill switches is preventing it. The most common in my experience is the kill switch fails because owners like to use it regularly to kill the engine instead of using the ignition switch.
Really? I have used the engine cutoff switch on all my bikes for the past 10 years and never had one fail. I guess I am just lucky.:idunno:

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Really? I have used the engine cutoff switch on all my bikes for the past 10 years and never had one fail. I guess I am just lucky.:idunno:

Assuming you actually do a reasonable mileage on them I would consider yourself fairly lucky then.
Why do you use it?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What did you test and how did you test it?
You do have a manual I assume?
first thing I got from here, was a manual. I have to be honest, it has been so long, I do not remember. I was hoping my mechanic would have chimed in by now. He has an account, and is a member, I'll have to shoot him another e-mail, or call him. Better yet, lemme see if I can jog my memory by looking back through the manual.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Umm, because that is what it is for.:smilebig:

Yes, for emergencies and diagnostics though.
If it was for shutting down the engine then cars would have one as well.
The ignition switch is for shutting down the engine, just as in a car.
Have a read of your Owner's Manual.
The 929 manual for example states "This switch is intended primarily as a safety or emergency switch and should normally remain in the RUN position."

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have always known this, and the original owner confirms non-abuse of this switch. I see some of use like Russian flight simulators? nice.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I have always known this, and the original owner confirms non-abuse of this switch. I see some of use like Russian flight simulators? nice.
Yep, I'm sure the only reason people use it it simply because it's there and they just have to play with it :)

IL2 is pretty much the only game I play :)

I'd like to play CloD but that's still just an abysmal programming disaster.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a feeling that when I FIND my manual again, I'll look at the wiring diagrams and trace that I will find a common enemy that is separated or a connection is bad, not allowing the spark to go, I have a feeling it is after the computer, otherwise it would throw a code, which right now it isn't.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts