Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the riding season here in Calgary doesn't start for another 3 months, I decided to modify the huge tail on my 93 cbr900. I've always thought it was really large and dumpy, and who wants a large rear end.
Here is the starting point:
Original.jpg
First I took off all the fairings and cut away any plastic to streamline the tail. This included some of the side plastic and the rear fender:
Undertail cut.jpg
Next I put the fairings back on and marked the new shape with masking tape and then cut the fairing with and dremel:
Fairing marked and cut.jpg
Using cardboard strips, I formed the new shape then covered it with cloth and resin. This is to just temporarily set the shape. I will take the fairing off and then lay a couple fiberglass layers on the inside, then sand off the cloth mold.
Rough start.jpg
I am going to have to wait a bit, as the resin fumes really pi**ed off the wife.
I took my exhaust off to get some more working space, and noticed that the baffle was broken and hanging to one side of the end can. When I took it apart, it was missing over half of the fiberglass batting:
Exhaust.jpg
It's 18" long, so I cut it to 12". I figure with new batting, it will still be quieter than before.
I'll update as more work is done.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
It's been a long time since any update. Had to go to page 18 to find this thread.
After smoothing out the inside of the mold with some bondo, I layed in a couple layers of fiberglass. Then I peeled of the mold and did some sanding and a bit of filling.
I then painted it and installed it. I got a led brake light with an integrated license plate light. I'm pretty please with the results.
I also cleaned up the midpipe. It had hoops for springs, but I didn't need them so I ground them off. I also had to make the last bend in the collector a bit bigger, because you can see in the one picture the can was hitting the swingarm.
I shortened the exhaust as well, from 18" down to 12". As you can see in the side picture it no longer protrudes past the rear tire. Was is cheesy to put an Akrapovic decal on it, maybe a bit, but I really liked the HRC association on it.
If I had to do it again, I would buy a subframe and tail off another bike.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts