Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I got a used pc3r off e-bay for $110 shipped :)clap: ) and I was wondering how much everyone paid for their custom made map and also how to block off the PAIR.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Re: Custom map cost?

I believe you will find a custom map goes for about $300. As for the PAIR valve, do a search here on the forum. Just don't go and block it off you should reroute the hoses back to each other.

If you need some more info I can get a little more in depth. But here are a few beneficial aspects to this mod.

1. better throttle response

2. no crankcase pressure

3. oil last longer[not time wise it stays cleaner longer]

4. increased seal and gasket life

5. small increase in hp

6. no oil burn [unless your rings/valve guide seals are worn]

7. cooler air in the air box

8. no burn of oil vapor [the crankcase breather vents oil mist into the air box]

9. lower end bearings and main bearings load is reduced

10. air filters don,t need to be changed/cleaned as often

(courtesy from GixxerKiller on RRZone.com)

·
Registered
1,524 Posts

Calkidd said:
I believe you will find a custom map goes for about $300. As for the PAIR valve, do a search here on the forum. Just don't go and block it off you should reroute the hoses back to each other.

If you need some more info I can get a little more in depth. But here are a few beneficial aspects to this mod.

1. better throttle response
PAIR has nothing to do with this
2. no crankcase pressure
yet again
3. oil last longer[not time wise it stays cleaner longer]
why????
4. increased seal and gasket life
how so??
5. small increase in hp
Totally false!
6. no oil burn [unless your rings/valve guide seals are worn]
Why would you get burnt oil from the PAIR?
7. cooler air in the air box
Why?
8. no burn of oil vapor [the crankcase breather vents oil mist into the air box]
This has nothing to do with the PAIR, its a separate system.
9. lower end bearings and main bearings load is reduced
Who is on crack who thought of this?
10. air filters don,t need to be changed/cleaned as often
Why??
(courtesy from GixxerKiller on RRZone.com)
FYI. The way the PAIR system works is air is taken FROM the airbox, through the hose to the PAIR solenoid. When the solenoid is opened, air goes through the two hoses to the ports on the valve cover. Inside those two small covers are reed(one way) valves. The air goes past the reed valves through small passages into the exhaust port. This introduces clean fresh(aka oxygen rich) air into the hot exhaust. This in turn promotes burning of any unburned fuel for lower emissions.

The only tangible benefit to defeating the PAIR system is to greatly reduce the popping in the exhaust heard when you have an aftermarket pipe and you roll off the throttle. This is primarily when the PAIR would open and with the stock exhaust, you would not hear the popping that is normally happening. The other side benefit would be that you need to defeat this system when dyno tuning.

There is zero performance gain, no longevity or life enhancing value to be gained from this. It's an emissions device that hurts nothing but adding half a pound to the bike and some popping. Don't go out of your way to do this mod. Do it if you are already in that area of the bike for another reason like changing the air filter, spark plugs etc.

·
Registered
131 Posts

Maybe you didn't read where I got this from....I didn't create this list. All I know is when I did the modification I could tell there was a slight increase in throttle response and some mid range power.

Since you are so quick to respond with just questions and accusations, why not offer some reason why YOU don't think these "so called " benefits work.

This system is similar, let me repeat S-I-M-I-L-A-R, to the F1 race cars. No, I am not comparing the two, just the S-I-M-I-L-A-R system.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I just heard that you had to block off the pair system for dyno runs because of the air/fuel sensor the dynomometer uses.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts

redhotz28 said:
I just heard that you had to block off the pair system for dyno runs because of the air/fuel sensor the dynomometer uses.
Thanks Conq.

Yes, as I said, the PAIR needs to be defeated to dyno tune properly as the fresh air in the exhaust will give a false reading to the a/f sensor used to tune.

This mod offers ZERO throttle response gain or mid range power increase. If you did gain anything it was due to something else you did while you were defeating the PAIR system.

To say this is S-I-M-I-L-A-R to a system on a F1 can is goofy. The PAIR is an emissions device. I don't think any F1 cars meet any LEV or ULEV specs :rotfl:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Calkidd said:
Again you offer zero reason for your conclusion.
Hello?? WTF? Are you actually reading the posts???

The PAIR takes a tiny bit of air FROM the airbox to clean the exhaust gases. These have nothing to do with in-cylinder combustion. AKA NO GAINS. So how am I offering zero reasons? There is a full explanation as to how the system works and what you get from defeating it.

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
For info on removing your Pair Valve, if you choose:

http://www.cbr929rr.com/pair.htm (From Sirkbac's (RIP) site.)

Another person who knows the real story behind the Pair Valve:
What is the PAIR valve you ask? It's part of the Emissions system on the bike. It injects air into the exhaust ports to burn off the un-burnt fuel. You really won't gain Horsepower from doing this (some do claim 1-2hp gains though). It's not heavy so no real weight loss either. I was gonig to get the bike put on a Dyno and tuned the next tuesday so I figured I'd remove this before then. Either you remove it, or clamp the hoses when you get it tuned on a dyno. Otherwise the air injection will throw off the A/F reading on the Dyno and the bike won't be tuned correctly. Also by removing the valve the bike feels alittle smoother, no popping on deceleration anymore. If you are bored, go ahead and remove it, or if you plan on having your powercommander tuned on a dyno. Otherwise it really didn't make much of a diffrence.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Which Formula 1 team has an exhaust air injection emissions system on their engine?
And what do you mean by similar? There is nothing resembling this type of emissions device in any current F1 powerplant. It won't be on the coming seasons' V8 powerplants, either.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You guys are funny, your kind of like a pack of wolves which is typical of this forum. I watched this first hand when you did this to Big Kahuna.

Oh well, once again you guys proven that no one can have an opinion with out sharp critisizim when the opinion or ideas are not like that of your own.

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
You can have an opinion. And you do. But the fact is, your understanding of the Pair valve is incorrect. Are you here to learn, or did you just come back to stir shit? I seem to remember you left in a huff over a year ago. Any reason you're back?

We prefer not to have inaccurate information spread, so we're pointing out that that it's incorrect for the benefit of the original poster, and for the benefit of those that read this thread in the future.

·
Registered
131 Posts
It wasn't me who left in a huff I just merely left for a while. I know Big Kahuna had some issues, but we are not talking about him.

Conq, You have a great forum with valuable information, but there are times when it seems like people can not post an opinion with out being singled out, shund or ridiculed. And it seems to be the same folks over and over again.

The "Crack", as he is so called, is a certified mechanic trained by Factory schools who has also had involvement with F1's. This particular mod does not hurt anything and cost a buck to do. Plus, the original poster has nothing to gain he is just trying to help fellow riders out with a cheap mod.

If someone does this mod and doesn't feel it works for them what are you out of.....a buck? So what at least give it a try. Why should members be ridiculed just because another members doesn't share the same opinion?

I apologize for thread jacking this post.

If you remove the PAIR you don't need those fancy block off plates no one will see them. Get two 1/2" plugs for the reed valves and one 3/4" plug for the air box. If any one is interested in controversial mod PM me and I can explain it in more detail.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Only benefit(power) could come from the same reason as header wrapping is working. it keeps the exhaust gasses hot, and the speed of the gasses stay constant. injecting air to the exhaust cools the exhaust gasses?

but even this is questionable.

JT

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
Calkidd said:
It wasn't me who left in a huff I just merely left for a while. I know Big Kahuna had some issues, but we are not talking about him.

Conq, You have a great forum with valuable information, but there are times when it seems like people can not post an opinion with out being singled out, shund or ridiculed. And it seems to be the same folks over and over again.

The "Crack", as he is so called, is a certified mechanic trained by Factory schools who has also had involvement with F1's. This particular mod does not hurt anything and cost a buck to do. Plus, the original poster has nothing to gain he is just trying to help fellow riders out with a cheap mod.

If someone does this mod and doesn't feel it works for them what are you out of.....a buck? So what at least give it a try. Why should members be ridiculed just because another members doesn't share the same opinion?

I apologize for thread jacking this post.

If you remove the PAIR you don't need those fancy block off plates no one will see them. Get two 1/2" plugs for the reed valves and one 3/4" plug for the air box. If any one is interested in controversial mod PM me and I can explain it in more detail.
F1 Mechanic != Motorcycle Mechanic.

We all agree that it's a cheap mod. We all agree that it doesn't hurt anything. We all agree that you can do it if you want. But, there's no need in giving an incorrect list of 10 benefits, making people think it does more than it really does.

As for how to do it, Sirkbac's page gives a good explanation. (Linked above.)

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
We're self-centered and single minded because we point out that someone is spreading incorrect information? You yourself said that you didn't make the list, yet you take it as a personal attack when it is pointed out that the list is :bs: . Why?

Also, not a single moderator has responded to this thread up until this point, yet they are also self centered and single minded?

http://www.rrzone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14973&postcount=72

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Which F1 team did that moron drive the catering truck to? Reading that guy's posts will make your IQ drop.
He needs a remedial level understanding of what a PAIR system does.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts