Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a cbr900 1995 blade
battery kept dying so bought a brand new yuasa last week,
riding along speedo jumps from 0 to 60 repeatedly then completely stopped.
then i pulled up at lights and the motor just died, went to press starter nothing at all. turned off key and back on, again not a thing. pushed it about 2klms to a downhill, push started it and it fired rode it 100 metres stopped at lights and again it died. again nothing at all, guage lights, horn, headlights indicators all worked, left it at work for 10 hrs came out turned key and all i got was a clicking noise from starter. the same noise i get from a flat battery, got it home on a trailer, charged up battery and speedo and bike both working well again.13.0 v at 4000rpm :confused:

·
Registered
133 Posts
You may have lost one of the phases from the alternator or the regulator/rectifier. You may be getting the right voltage but not enough current to keep the battery fully charged. My bike at the moment (I have a regulator rectifier on order as I've narrowed my problem down to that) will run fine as long as I don't put my lights on (not ideal ;)). I measured the voltages across the phases of the alternator (three yellow wires under the seat coming from the engine) on AC (the voltage is AC) and they were all giving out about 13VAC (RMS) but when I did a diode test under load on the regulator/rectifier assembly one of the diodes wasn't giving the same readings as the others.

Were you riding with your lights on, if you were it maybe worth trying without and seeing what happens.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
i have a cbr900 1995 blade
battery kept dying so bought a brand new yuasa last week,
riding along speedo jumps from 0 to 60 repeatedly then completely stopped.
then i pulled up at lights and the motor just died, went to press starter nothing at all. turned off key and back on, again not a thing. pushed it about 2klms to a downhill, push started it and it fired rode it 100 metres stopped at lights and again it died. again nothing at all, guage lights, horn, headlights indicators all worked, left it at work for 10 hrs came out turned key and all i got was a clicking noise from starter. the same noise i get from a flat battery, got it home on a trailer, charged up battery and speedo and bike both working well again.13.0 v at 4000rpm :confused:
13V is far too low so it looks like your charging system has failed.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
is that easy to fix and what should it be on ??at 4000rpm then???
13.2V is a fully-charged battery at idle.
I don't have a manual handy but the norm would be 14.0-15.5V or thereabouts.
Is the voltage rising while the engine is runnng?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
13.2V is a fully-charged battery at idle.
I don't have a manual handy but the norm would be 14.0-15.5V or thereabouts.
Is the voltage rising while the engine is runnng?

it seems to charge at 12.89 no matter what rpms the motor is doing
would i just be better changing out the regulator/rectifier ? $205 new
or taking it to shop as they suggest to test ??
hate to pay all that money for something i can change myself in 10 mins

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
it seems to charge at 12.89 no matter what rpms the motor is doing
would i just be better changing out the regulator/rectifier ? $205 new
or taking it to shop as they suggest to test ??
hate to pay all that money for something i can change myself in 10 mins
12.89V is not what I would call charging at all.
After you do the tests and determine if it's the stator, regulator or both, then both are simple items to replace yourself.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
yeah been looking at ebay, just then $15 plus postage
seems a damn lot cheaper ... :)
are they ok off there ? any idea?
think ill get one and even if it doesnt fix problem at least wont be $200+ lol
any other ideas .. really appreciate the help thanks
The Honda stator and regulator are crap even when new from Honda so if you decide to buy secondhand don't pay big money for them.
Even if they're known to be good they could be just months or weeks away from failure.
Even the new aftermarket ones aren't significantly better, at least I haven't heard of any that are.
Next time I need a stator I'll be re-winding my own according to this:
http://www.fireblades.org/forums/ar...-charging-stator.html?highlight=stator+rewind

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
well i cleaned off back off regulator / rec and re attached too frame using 2 bolts not the one that was on it.. now charging at 13.8volts but reg/rec gets pretty hot in the 5 mins i was running the bike is that normal ?... also on top/ front of reg/rec there is a piece of metal sticking thru the black rubber top ? def dont thionk that is right lol
:)
just bought the $15 one from ebay
so hopefully that will arrive and fix my problem

how the hell do you pull the white cable connector out of Reg/Rec i cant seem to get it out no way i try ...
once again thanks Guys...

·
Registered
133 Posts
I skinned my knuckles doing it last weekend. Mainly because one of the terminals in the connector had melted the plastic around it and glued itself to the plug :crap:

The white connector has a clip on top of it that slides inside the R/R you need to push this down with your thumb and pull like buggery. There's a small piece of plastic in the R/R that locks into the connector clip and pushing it down disengages it.

I took a scredriver to it and prised it a bit to loosen it up as I knew I was replacing the R/R anyway and wasn't bothered about damaging the small bit of plastic in there.

My new R/R is installed and seems to be doing its job properly now, full test to follow when the snow melts :rolleyes:

BTW the damage to my R/R occured when some water got inside the connector under the seat from the alternator to the R/R and shorted two of the phases out, melting connectors etc :(

All seems to be well now though :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah took some skin myself but still cant get the bloody thing apart lol
when new R/R arrives ill just cut this one off best i can
but for now im still riding it a few places so will wait n then ATTACK lol
hoping this fixes it all up :) :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well got almost 2 years out of my $20 part off ebay and it just died again :( R/R gets so hot in 1 min of engine being on that i cant hold it ..

seems to be charging at 13.6v

any ideas do i just replace the R/R again ??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.