Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
It's been tried and always ends up very badly. Factory pro makes some but they are expensive and don't do much. If you cut them yourself, you will loose the horn which is more important than the length of the stack.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was talking to a guy in wally world and you know how it goes soon we were talking mods and he said he had cut them down on his GSXR 600. To me it did not make sense.

·
Registered
251 Posts
hey if it really helps (i doubt though) you could easily cut a piece in the midle and just glue the top with a good epoxy or something.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I've had some ideas for telscopic stacks but I just don't think there's enough to be gained from messing about with them.
If you want some real improvement throw a set of 954 throttle bodies on instead.

·
Registered
251 Posts
will the 954 throtles be a direct bolt on?i understand they will require mapping.Do they offer real performnce increase?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I was impressed but I haven't mapped to suit them yet.
I really expected to spend a day just getting them to work but I simply screwed them on and fired it up and it pulled hard straight away.
As with anything that boosts topend I'd expect to see some midrange losses but I haven't noticed anything missing yet. It's also possible that the improved intake is also complimenting the improved exhaust due to the full Akrapovic system so it's possible the gains won't be as noticeable with a stock exhaust system but I haven't had the stock system on it since I fitted the bigger throttle bodies.
Transition from closed throttle is still a bit messy but that's really only noticable when racing in the rain. I doubt it'll be a problem once I get over this damned flu (I've missed the last three race days!) and can map it properly.

·
Registered
251 Posts
very interesting.You havent even loaded a 954 map on pc and it works good.I bet you will have a real boost when mapped.
You still kept the 929 stacks and box?Even the connectors were identical?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
hey if it really helps (i doubt though) you could easily cut a piece in the midle and just glue the top with a good epoxy or something.
Nope, won't work. The bore venturi would not act smoothly and would create turbulance.
Also, what is it you want to improve?
If you lengthen the stacks it would work better at low RPMs. A shorter stack for higher RPMs.

·
Registered
251 Posts
hm....so what if 2 where shorter and 2 where longer?dont know in what sequence but couldnt that be beneficial?
I guess if it was,honda would have thought it first!

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
very interesting.You havent even loaded a 954 map on pc and it works good.I bet you will have a real boost when mapped.
You still kept the 929 stacks and box?Even the connectors were identical?
The injectors are different so you need the 954 injector harness with the throttle bodies but it's the same connector into the harness.
The venturi's are tapered in and out so only the centre of the throttle body is 42mm. The out tract into the head is the same size as the 929 as are the manifolds and the ports so the 42's slot straight in.
The manifold clamp screws are a real mongrel to get to so make sure you're in a good mood when you put them on and take your time :)

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
If for some reason you can't get the harness with them it's about $50 new from honda or you could probably use the injectors from the 929 bodies.

·
Registered
780 Posts
That seems like a great idea I believe I am about to look for 954 throttle bodies and the harness
Nashville seems to have tons of motorcycles. Give this guy a call. He is parting out a stunt bike. :eek:

honda cbr 954

And... there is always Ebay.

The second one looks more complete. (maybe)
eBay Motors: HONDA CBR 929 954 INTAKE THROTTLE BODIES BODY COMPLETE (item 170267836273 end time Oct-29-08 18:36:14 PDT)

eBay Motors: Honda CBR 954 01 02 Throttle Body (item 220287929517 end time Oct-06-08 19:43:52 PDT)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts