Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just brought it in from the mailbox. Pretty indepth article on the new CBR in this month's Cycle World - looks like King Gixxer may not be king anymore, despite what I thought was a slightly subpar showing from the Honda on the CW dyno (145 hp & 75 ft-lbs torque). Still, the Honda stood right there with the Suzuki and traded blows, actually beating it in a couple acceleration contests and lapping faster than the Suzook as well (Willow Springs).

Most interesting was Mark Cernicky's end of story commentary, urging that new 1000RR owners not f*ck the bike up with unnecessary mods - ride it stock he says.

Round two with the ZX-10R should prove interesting . . .

·
Registered
74 Posts
Most interesting was Mark Cernicky's end of story commentary, urging that new 1000RR owners not f*ck the bike up with unnecessary mods - ride it stock he says.

Who wants to ride anything in stock form?? :huh:

·
Registered
364 Posts
The point Cernicki was making is that the CBR1000RR is so excellent in stock form that modifications are likely to make the bike worse rather than improve it. (Of course, we're not talking about slapping an Ohlins R&T fork and Ohlins shock on the machine; hard to imagine that being worse than stock).

Pretty solid review of the 1000RR, but I remember reading many such positive reviews of the CBR954RR when it was introduced, only to see it fall to 2nd or 3rd behind the GSX-R1000 in far too many comparos (not that I really care; the bike is still damn near perfect for me). :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
RaggedEdge said:
I remember reading many such positive reviews of the CBR954RR when it was introduced, only to see it fall to 2nd or 3rd behind the GSX-R1000 in far too many comparos (not that I really care; the bike is still damn near perfect for me). :)
This was a comparo to the '04 GSX-R.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
I'd bet $ that most of us wouldn't be able to set the sag correctly on the forks. It will need a new seat if it sees daily use. I had planned on a new shock, DK fork job, sliders, seat, clip-ons, spools, seat cowl, and a power commander. That is about $2k right there :crap:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just read the artical to. One thing I found interesting is the problems they had with the Pirellie diablo, it said the bike did not handle well with them, but when they switched them out with the battlax the handleing was great again :idunno: . they also said that the cluch was real grabby decreaseing 1/4 mile times..still beat the gixer :thumb: .

I with they came OE with pilots...I guess I will just have to take the OE off and get a good set of tires on...

can't wait till april :D

·
Registered
728 Posts
Chain said:
You're joking right? If you bought a new '04 blade, you would have 3 new exhausts fitted by the end of the year. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
hiside said:
Can someone please post the performance stats comparing the 1000rr to the GSXR?

thanks

tank empty weight RR 431lbs, gixer 408, HP RR145, gixer 141, 1/4 mile RR 10.05, gixer 10.27, 40-60...honda had a .2 sec advantage..don't give time 60-80 RR 3.1, gixer 2.8, lap at willow RR 1:23.59 gixer 1:24.28

"so the king is dead"

there ya go...thats all they have

·
Registered
232 Posts
fooseRR said:
tank empty weight RR 431lbs, gixer 408, HP RR145, gixer 141, 1/4 mile RR 10.05, gixer 10.27, 40-60...honda had a .2 sec advantage..don't give time 60-80 RR 3.1, gixer 2.8, lap at willow RR 1:23.59 gixer 1:24.28

"so the king is dead"

there ya go...thats all they have
Those quarter mile times are slow for both bikes, Last years gixxer ram 9.98 in the 1/4 and I was running 10.0`s on my 02 954 with just a slip on and front strap :idunno:

·
Registered
925 Posts
booth23 said:
I'd bet $ that most of us wouldn't be able to set the sag correctly on the forks. It will need a new seat if it sees daily use. I had planned on a new shock, DK fork job, sliders, seat, clip-ons, spools, seat cowl, and a power commander. That is about $2k right there :crap:
I boinging the forks on teh one I sat on---definitely seemed like they needed a little help---not sure what the reviewers issues" were---cant see the harm in a pipe, PC and Ohlins frnt/rr----prolly has a hardon to keep the valve

·
Registered
219 Posts
they also said the stock exhaust has a little bit of a raspy sound unlike honda's in the past, thats a good thing.

·
Banned
3,466 Posts
sonicsbomb said:
Those quarter mile times are slow for both bikes, Last years gixxer ram 9.98 in the 1/4 and I was running 10.0`s on my 02 954 with just a slip on and front strap :idunno:
But how well broken in was it? I'm sure both of these bikes will be faster once they loosen up their sinuses a bit.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
sonicsbomb said:
Those quarter mile times are slow for both bikes, Last years gixxer ram 9.98 in the 1/4
...the article stated that their 2004 G1K made less power than the '03 they tested. It was only like 5 or 6 horsepower off, which could be attributed to runs on different days, or weather condtions...just as a bike might run a 9.98 one day but no better than a 10.15 the next. (BTW - your 10.0's are impressive for a 954, no doubt.) Don't assume that the a stock 1000RR should be a better dragbike than a '54 just 'cuz it makes more power; a strap is good for a few tenths, easy! CW repeatedly commented on the 1KRR's grabby/noisy clutch. I suspect this is going to be a sticking point for RR owners. (Another clutch recall in the RR's future? ;))

Obviously, people who read the article are going to look for new RR's with the Bridgestones. :) Scary - and odd - that the bike could feel so disconnected with the Pirellis.

12+ additional horses over last year's bike are great, but 25+ additional pounds are disappointing. I had expected more gushing over the handling, and the lack of such commentary makes me wonder if the RR will be the handling champ we were expecting it to be. Judging by the RR's mid-pack performance (laptime-wise) in a couple of other early "shootouts", I'm not so sure; I'd expected that even though it wouldn't have the most power of the "big four", the Honda migt just turn the quickest laps, but apparently that's not the case. (In all fairness, a bike that can beat the mighty Gixxer on the racetrack is no small achievement, particularly for the typically "conservative" Honda, but Yamaha and Kawasaki may have done even better on this front with their new entries.) Also disconcerting is the blurb about ANOTHER uncomfortable Honda seat, and the report of the more racy (lower bars) riding position and the resulting noticeable weight on the wrists/hands. Obviously, people are clamoring for street-legal racebikes, and understandably, this new RR is less comfy and street friendly than the 954, 929, etc. - but can you imagine the Yamaha AND the Suzuki being more "comfortable" rides than the Honda? What is the world coming to??? :crap:

But to the really important point: in the end, it's good to see the Gixxer finally get beat up a little, eh?! :D

·
Registered
219 Posts
TAZ said:
...the article stated that their 2004 G1K made less power than the '03 they tested. It was only like 5 or 6 horsepower off, which could be attributed to runs on different days, or weather condtions...just as a bike might run a 9.98 one day but no better than a 10.15 the next. (BTW - your 10.0's are impressive for a 954, no doubt.) Don't assume that the a stock 1000RR should be a better dragbike than a '54 just 'cuz it makes more power; a strap is good for a few tenths, easy! CW repeatedly commented on the 1KRR's grabby/noisy clutch. I suspect this is going to be a sticking point for RR owners. (Another clutch recall in the RR's future? ;))

Obviously, people who read the article are going to look for new RR's with the Bridgestones. :) Scary - and odd - that the bike could feel so disconnected with the Pirellis.

12+ additional horses over last year's bike are great, but 25+ additional pounds are disappointing. I had expected more gushing over the handling, and the lack of such commentary makes me wonder if the RR will be the handling champ we were expecting it to be. Judging by the RR's mid-pack performance (laptime-wise) in a couple of other early "shootouts", I'm not so sure; I'd expected that even though it wouldn't have the most power of the "big four", the Honda migt just turn the quickest laps, but apparently that's not the case. (In all fairness, a bike that can beat the mighty Gixxer on the racetrack is no small achievement, particularly for the typically "conservative" Honda, but Yamaha and Kawasaki may have done even better on this front with their new entries.) Also disconcerting is the blurb about ANOTHER uncomfortable Honda seat, and the report of the more racy (lower bars) riding position and the resulting noticeable weight on the wrists/hands. Obviously, people are clamoring for street-legal racebikes, and understandably, this new RR is less comfy and street friendly than the 954, 929, etc. - but can you imagine the Yamaha AND the Suzuki being more "comfortable" rides than the Honda? What is the world coming to??? :crap:

But to the really important point: in the end, it's good to see the Gixxer finally get beat up a little, eh?! :D
Yeah taz, better make sure you buy another Yamaha then :thumbd:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well there will be about a dozen more comparos out before June. So who spends the most PR/marketing dollars?

I think pro and clublevel racing results will also be telling. Sure they keep 'em stock... :rotfl:

I invested in new wheels and Marchesini assured diff spacers will match up to the 1k. So let the bike come out, get recalled and discounted and I'll get one in late Fall.. :clap:

·
Registered
925 Posts
TAZ said:

As usual TAZ misses the entire point---they were adimant that the reason the CBR did better in the drag was it wheelied less because of the longer swing arm which is 1.6" longer, yet the wheelbase is only 0.6" longer than the 954. regarding laptimes power is power---more HP always gets lower laptimes unless the track has little/no straights---the diffrence can only be made up by a rider that can push harder in corners---the sprung weight number that has been gathering so much debate means little
1) You get 2X radiator---fluids are heavy--but its positioned right behind the front wheel
2) MOI(moment of inertia) is the MOST imporatnt measure of throwing the bike into a corner
3) When you ride really, really fast (top 10ish) in any amatuer club racing, stability becomes very important
4) yes you'll lose a tad on drive, possibily braking---BUT--Id take higher corner/exit speed any day over a touch more straight line acceleration as it is difficult to turn whenst the front wheel is in the air
5) Unless you have 0% excess body fat---the 20 lbs(more like 10 after a Ti exhaust)--is a mute point
6) Who wants a racebike with a problematic tranny--NOT me
7) THe AFM endurance race was won this year by an "overweight" 600RR
8) The Dyno test that Arrow did put both the ZX-10 and the CBR1000 at 155HP-stock---whose right???
9) Having seen both bikes at the track---the Honda got ALL the attention---rightly so
10) Regarding the tires who cares?? Whose gonna be running street tires on a track anyway??
11) Having seen 2 R1s at the track---they look ridiculous from the rear--easily mistaken for a VFR or other sport touring monstrousity

·
Registered
925 Posts
Chain said:
Just brought it in from the mailbox. Pretty indepth article on the new CBR in this month's Cycle World - looks like King Gixxer may not be king anymore, despite what I thought was a slightly subpar showing from the Honda on the CW dyno (145 hp & 75 ft-lbs torque). Still, the Honda stood right there with the Suzuki and traded blows, actually beating it in a couple acceleration contests and lapping faster than the Suzook as well (Willow Springs).

Round two with the ZX-10R should prove interesting . . .
I find it very interesting that SportRiders Mother Company Cycle World came up with 10 less HP---whats upwdat??????

Sport riders Dyno

1 - 20 of 47 Posts