Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was one part of the forum I never wanted to post in ...

I was at the side of a box van on a dual carriage way, I was on the inside , he was on the outside, both doing around 40mph, I'm guessing he slowed and flashed a car that was waiting to turn right across us as we were at a box junction that was near a set of lights. My lane had no cars in it though so I was carrying on to the traffic lights.
The car just turned without checking there wasn't anything in the nearside lane, unfortunately, there was, me.
I got on the brakes but instantly knew there was no chance of stopping, so pulled the front hard to lay it over so I could roll off instead of hitting the car.
(glad we covered this in the ABS topic !)
I carried on to the middle of the junction, but I'm not sure exactly what happened to my bike, but by the looks of it it hit something hard.(I'm pressuming, the car) glad I didn't stay on it.
:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

Luckily, I'm just sporting some RHS bruising from shoulder to ankle and that's about it.

My poor bike :(

Attachments

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
machines can be fixed/replaced. YOU cannot. Glad you are ok dude, sorry about the scoot....

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
This was one part of the forum I never wanted to post in ...

I was at the side of a box van on a dual carriage way, I was on the inside , he was on the outside, both doing around 40mph, I'm guessing he slowed and flashed a car that was waiting to turn right across us as we were at a box junction that was near a set of lights. My lane had no cars in it though so I was carrying on to the traffic lights.
The car just turned without checking there wasn't anything in the nearside lane, unfortunately, there was, me.
I got on the brakes but instantly knew there was no chance of stopping, so pulled the front hard to lay it over so I could roll off instead of hitting the car.
(glad we covered this in the ABS topic !)
I carried on to the middle of the junction, but I'm not sure exactly what happened to my bike, but by the looks of it it hit something hard.(I'm pressuming, the car) glad I didn't stay on it.
:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

Luckily, I'm just sporting some RHS bruising from shoulder to ankle and that's about it.

My poor bike :(

Wow!
Didn't the car stop?
Are the forks bent?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow!
Didn't the car stop?
Are the forks bent?
The car did stop after he'd turned into his road as I think my bike hit his car.
I didn't get chance to speak to him directly as I spent 20 mins in the ambulance and by the time I came out everyone including the police had gone. The police got all his details before he left.

The forks aren't bent I don't think because they are both snapped clean through ! Couldn't wheel it into the truck it had to be drag winched with the front wheel not moving .

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
looks like it could be cosmetic damage perhaps only?
I'm quite sure it'll be a write off. Front forks were both snapped clean off all fairing etc smashed , even instrument panel was split across the display.
The front wheel also hit hard enough to do what is pictured above . Don't think I'd like to trust that front end if I got it back.

·
Super Moderator
14,706 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bike Mollari but glad you're OK. And hope his insurance covers everything mate.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unsurprisingly they've written her off :(.
I paid £2400 for that bike , they're paying me £1549 (£450 excess, they actually offered me £1999.
I'm nearly a grand out of pocket cause someone caused me to crash ?

I've never had an accident claim before, is this right? is this how it is?

The more I think about the nastier the taste in the mouth.

·
Registered
927 Posts
To give you an idea, my last agent was charging me $120 a month. Somebody hit it in my parking lot at work and to claim it as a hit and run he was going to raise my rate to $200 a month and the bill to fix it was $1000 and change.. So they were going to look forward to making an $80 excess after the first year on every month for the 4 years following the first which equalls $3840.. all because somebody hit it parked.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
To give you an idea, my last agent was charging me $120 a month. Somebody hit it in my parking lot at work and to claim it as a hit and run he was going to raise my rate to $200 a month and the bill to fix it was $1000 and change.. So they were going to look forward to making an $80 excess after the first year on every month for the 4 years following the first which equalls $3840.. all because somebody hit it parked.
That's immoral, unethical, and just plain criminal. Bastards!
Time to switch insurance.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Glad your okay brother! I've been down a few times in my 35+ years of riding bikes and the car always wins. And every time but one, it was the cars fault. Since it was an older bike, it always cost more(Insurance $$$) to fix it than the bike is worth on paper. So they would total it, cut me a check, and I would buy it back for the salvage value. You can negotiate the settlement on your bike. Be a hard ass. I would always remind the insurance adjuster that "I can't replace it for that". Their numbers will creep up at least a little. The always have a little extra room to get the claim closed. Remember, the claim isn't closed until you accept that check.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I thought about getting it back, but they wanted £1300 or something, I can't remember exactly, but it was a Joke considering the state of it. If the front hit hard enough to snap the forks clean off I wouldn't've had much faith in the strength of it or the state of the frame..

Just waiting to see how much they offer me now based on my loss claims.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
I thought about getting it back, but they wanted £1300 or something, I can't remember exactly, but it was a Joke considering the state of it. If the front hit hard enough to snap the forks clean off I wouldn't've had much faith in the strength of it or the state of the frame..

Just waiting to see how much they offer me now based on my loss claims.
Yeah, probably a smart move on your part. Plenty of good blades out there. Get back in the saddle soon.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts