Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I may be preaching to the converted here. I fitted a Scotts rotary damper to my 954 and I'm amazed by the transformation in the feel of the bike. Any twitchiness or skittishness has gone but the quickness of steering is still on tap whenever I want it. I wonder how many 954 owners haven't fitted a damper and don't know what they're missing. Honda should have included it as standard before now.

After test riding the 04 I suspected I would have to respring and possibly revalve the forks to get more of that total control feeling, and I'm sure that would be an improvement but the damper makes a huge difference by itself.

What swung me towards the Scotts was the ease of adjustment in flight and the lack of vulnerability in a lowside. And the thing radiates quality. And the Aussie dollar is pretty strong against the greenback. At least it was when I bought it.

Cheers
RP

·
Registered
264 Posts
i love it too. i really didn't notice too much of a differance when i put it on. it was only a few months after installing it that i realized how nice it was, when i removed it for a trip to florida. (i didn't want it stolen)

·
Registered
306 Posts
jerseydrew said:
i love it too. i really didn't notice too much of a differance when i put it on. it was only a few months after installing it that i realized how nice it was, when i removed it for a trip to florida. (i didn't want it stolen)
I removed my Ohlins in my 954 about a month before trading in to 1000RR to sell the Ohlins separately. Took the 954 to some twisties and I thought I had lost my mojo :sless: , the bike felt so unplanted, nervous and ready to headshake any minute. Most of that was propably phychological but still never again without my mojo, damper that is...

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tnarinen said:
I removed my Ohlins in my 954 about a month before trading in to 1000RR to sell the Ohlins separately. Took the 954 to some twisties and I thought I had lost my mojo :sless: , the bike felt so unplanted, nervous and ready to headshake any minute. Most of that was propably phychological but still never again without my mojo, damper that is...
I went out for a lap of the local twisties at lunchtime today and there is one spot where a rough patch in the middle of a crest can cause any bike to shake its head. It has done that to me on my old VFR which was a pretty stable bike. I hit it today at about 150 km/h on the 954 and it barely twitched. Without the damper I know I would have had a problem. Its also very stable through bumpy corners. :thumb: I'm glad I took that test ride on the CBR1000RR to let me know what a damper feels like.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I picked up a Scotts about 5 weeks ago...dealership told me not to install it until my recall was done, dont think it should take this long to get the parts :rant: ...installing this weekend the latest regardless of what those morons say...track day on the 26th! :thumb:

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MrX954 said:
I picked up a Scotts about 5 weeks ago...dealership told me not to install it until my recall was done, dont think it should take this long to get the parts :rant: ...installing this weekend the latest regardless of what those morons say...track day on the 26th! :thumb:
I'd fit it anyway. It is easy to install and remove. Takes less than half an hour the first time. Next would be quicker. Probably 15 mins max. Make sure you use a torque wrench on the top nut and use blue locktite on the allen screws into the Scotts top nut and the tank bolts.

What is this mysterious 954 steering head recall I keep hearing about? Does it just affect the '02 models?
Cheers
RP

·
Registered
121 Posts
RPinOZ said:
I'd fit it anyway. It is easy to install and remove. Takes less than half an hour the first time. Next would be quicker. Probably 15 mins max. Make sure you use a torque wrench on the top nut and use blue locktite on the allen screws into the Scotts top nut and the tank bolts.

What is this mysterious 954 steering head recall I keep hearing about? Does it just affect the '02 models?
Cheers
RP
I've attached the copy of the service bulliten. It's not really a recall though. I think they replace the steering head bearings with the older style in the 929's cause they had metal shaving issues on some of the 954s, but not all of them.

Attachments

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dookie said:
I've attached the copy of the service bulliten. It's not really a recall though. I think they replace the steering head bearings with the older style in the 929's cause they had metal shaving issues on some of the 954s, but not all of them.
Thanks for that Dookie. :thumb: It looks like it may be a US only thing. I haven't heard about it here in Oz.

·
Registered
9 Posts
RPinOZ said:
I wonder how many 954 owners haven't fitted a damper and don't know what they're missing.
I don't know what I'm missing :idunno: Had a Ohlins damper on my 929, but so far I'm happy with the handling of my 954...

Had a short test ride on a 1000 the other day, and it felt a lot more stable than the 954; is this mainly a damper-thing, or result of a better/more stable frame???

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Blue954 said:
I don't know what I'm missing :idunno: Had a Ohlins damper on my 929, but so far I'm happy with the handling of my 954...

Had a short test ride on a 1000 the other day, and it felt a lot more stable than the 954; is this mainly a damper-thing, or result of a better/more stable frame???
Its mainly a damper thing IMHO. Also the steering geometry on the 1000 has changed with an extra 5mm of trail which will tend to improve stability too. And the ride quality is also a little better on the 04 which I guess is a result of the new unit rear suspension. But putting a good steering damper on your 954 will improve the stability a lot. The Scotts improved mine far beyond my expectations.
Cheers
RP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts