Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since rain has ruined my Fathers Day ride plans, I decided to do my next favorite bike thing: working on them.

I took the cloths off my new to me 954RR today for the first time. I wanted to inspect everything under there and do a little maintenance and cleaning.

When it came time to inspect the air filter, I noted the K&N decal on the air box and decided I wouldn't bother opening it up since it wasn't close to the cleaning interval.

However, a little voice told me to check anyway. I recalled pics and stories of mice nests in air boxes and thought, "what if?". Good thing I listened to the inner voice!

Check out the filter channels! They were completely clogged! This isn't a recent nest by the looks of it. I'm thinking it's years old.

So, now I'm embarrassed for thinking this suffocating bike was running well. I'm also very excited (scared) about how she's going to run when she can breath!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the mess cleaned out and cleaned/lubed the K&N that was in it. I took it for a test spin, expecting a dramatic difference in performance. Well, it was significant, but not dramatic. Like I said, it was running really well even all clogged up, somehow. It pulls stronger in the mid and top end, maybe 20% stronger.

I corresponded with the previous owner who I bought it from a few weeks ago and he too was shocked. He hadn't noticed any odd behaviors or performance issues. I believe that the nest may be several seasons old, likely before he bought the bike.

I'm absolutely amazed it was able to run like it did.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
That's just how good the K&N's are, they flow even when plugged up with mice nests! :popcorn:

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Probably just as well you weren't running a paper filter. They would have been more inclined to chew off pieces for their nest.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Or you can buy an OEM filter and find out what real breathing feels like :evilaugh:
Or take it out completely. Let's see how well the nest lasts when it's made inside one of the cylinders :eyebrows:

·
Registered
201 Posts
you should lay some poison down, little bastards will chew thru your wires. happened to an audi a4 i had, nearly 800 bucks to replace the damaged wiring!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Jesus......that's brutal! Definitly makes me want to check mine, especially since I found 3 mice in my yard recently.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts