• GTK+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK it is getting closer to time to make some stuff for the host side of my data acquisition system. The host WILL be a Mac laptop (G4 for now) and I am plotting on the development system to use.

1 Cocoa based using Objective C
Native with great tools but not real portable at this time. Probably the best GUI choice though. Fastest performance
2 Python using WxPython
Nice set of GUI widgets and good cross platform support. Development tools are mediocre but the rapid prototyping capability of Python is tops. Slowest performance of end code though.
3 Java (Swing)
Nice set of GUI widgets and good cross platform support. Development tools are decent. Medium performance choice.
4 Java (Cocoa)
Great set of GUI widgets at the expense of cross platform support. Development tools are decent. Medium performance choice. Long term support by Apple not as good as Objective C
5 GTK+
Decent set of widgets runs on Mac or Unix/Linux as an X Windows program. Development tools are decent but not to Cocoa standards. Good performance.

Oh and to those that say use 'doz here is a peremptive :die:

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I have a piece of cardboard under my seat that says "that was too slow, go faster." Works every time. :idunno:

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Hmmm.... well, I would stick with C... forget Java and Python. They may be more portable, but you are going to take a performance hit and they look ugly to boot.

I suppose it depends on how much you really plan to port this off the OSX platform. If those chances are small, then screw it and go with Cocoa. Remember too that Apple has plans to release the Cocoa framework for 'doz in the future, so it may a little easier to port.

If you need portability, go with gtk+... it's uglier to code with and the actual UI isn't as pretty ususally, but it can get the job done.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
navydevildoc said:
Hmmm.... well, I would stick with C... forget Java and Python. They may be more portable, but you are going to take a performance hit and they look ugly to boot.

I suppose it depends on how much you really plan to port this off the OSX platform. If those chances are small, then screw it and go with Cocoa. Remember too that Apple has plans to release the Cocoa framework for 'doz in the future, so it may a little easier to port.

If you need portability, go with gtk+... it's uglier to code with and the actual UI isn't as pretty ususally, but it can get the job done.
Ooops I left out one detail. The company I work for does a decent amount of Python work (I have done some work myself). Now this is not for work but I could leverage some knowledge (though I don't think anyone has used WxPython.

CBRVFR: surely you have figured out by now that nothing about this project is practical, rather just the mad grazings of a blue sheep ;)

·
Registered
803 Posts
I am going to vote Java Swing because of portability. Sure, Java isn't the fastest around, but the ability to run cross platform is a big plus in my book. I am currently administering a number of WebSphere and Portal servers. Seems to me memory is Java's biggest hurdle at the moment.

But then again, go with what you are most comfortable, or what you want to learn the most. Because it sounds like you are going to become quite intimate with one of the above..

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fig said:
I am going to vote Java Swing because of portability. Sure, Java isn't the fastest around, but the ability to run cross platform is a big plus in my book. I am currently administering a number of WebSphere and Portal servers. Seems to me memory is Java's biggest hurdle at the moment.

But then again, go with what you are most comfortable, or what you want to learn the most. Because it sounds like you are going to become quite intimate with one of the above..
I am actually a very multi-lingual ovine. Of those listed I am the least familiar with Objective C but consider C my native language. I have done some in all the languages but no sockets in Java (yet).

Oops I forgot one other detail:
In my long term delusion I have considered using OpenGL to make 3D plots with color coding. If I got that far Objective C is probably the best then Python followed by Java (likely not OpenGL, instead the Java 3D)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts