Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a frame I need to clean up completely.. It's stripped down completely and looks like it probably hasn't been cleaned for at least 10 years (not by me, it was like that when I got it) There was a thick cruddy layer of old oil, grease and [email protected] from the road caked on it, most of which I prised of with an old screw driver.. Now I need to get her perfectly clean ready for either spraying or powder coating..

Whats the best stuff for cleaning it, which won't take me 6 months of hard labour to get it clean.. I was comtemplating bunging it in the bath and using summat but we have a white bath and I dread to thing what colour it would be afterwards :O

Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
14,706 Posts
Petroleum deagreaser, not the water based one, it's crap. Kerosine is nearly as good but I prefer the petroleum one.

·
Super Moderator
8,597 Posts
You might consider getting it sandblasted...

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Not sure if you can get it in the UK but Simple Green(real strong degreaser)let it soak, a hard bristle brush
and a hose, it will look like new. Hppy 2010 Loopy!:thumb:

·
Super Moderator
14,706 Posts
Petroleum deagreaser, not the water based one, it's crap. Kerosine is nearly as good but I prefer the petroleum one.
Ahhhhhhhhhhh, forgot to mention the presure cleaner if you have one. Makes things a lot easier. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I have a frame I need to clean up completely.. It's stripped down completely and looks like it probably hasn't been cleaned for at least 10 years (not by me, it was like that when I got it) There was a thick cruddy layer of old oil, grease and [email protected] from the road caked on it, most of which I prised of with an old screw driver.. Now I need to get her perfectly clean ready for either spraying or powder coating..

Whats the best stuff for cleaning it, which won't take me 6 months of hard labour to get it clean.. I was comtemplating bunging it in the bath and using summat but we have a white bath and I dread to thing what colour it would be afterwards :O

Any suggestions?
I stripped the frame back to bare metal on the XS250/400 I'm restoring and repainted it.
I tried some different paint strippers and degreasers but I really didn't find anything that worked better than a wire brush in a drill - and many hours of toil. If all you're doing is cleaning it without planning to repaint it try a pressure cleaner. Mine runs at 1450psi so it can take paint off if you're not careful, but the pressure is easily regulated by keeping the nozzle a short distance away from the job as the pressure drops _very_ quickly once the water hits the air. Hitting it with a good degreaser first would also reduce the amount of water pressure required to blast the crud off. Just a few minutes would have it spotless so it'd be worth it even if you have to buy one. It's more than powerful enough to blast through seals so I wouldn't use it on chains or seals and bearings. It's probably even possible to connect a reservoir and use it for wet blasting but I haven't tried that.

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If all you're doing is cleaning it without planning to repaint it try a pressure cleaner. Mine runs at 1450psi so it can take paint off if you're not careful, but the pressure is easily regulated by keeping the nozzle a short distance away from the job as the pressure drops _very_ quickly once the water hits the air. Hitting it with a good degreaser first would also reduce the amount of water pressure required to blast the crud off. Just a few minutes would have it spotless so it'd be worth it even if you have to buy one. It's more than powerful enough to blast through seals so I wouldn't use it on chains or seals and bearings. It's probably even possible to connect a reservoir and use it for wet blasting but I haven't tried that.
I've access to one which runs at 3500psi* :evilaugh: Trouble is you would need to wedge the frame against something to stop it shooting all over the place and the jetter would pretty much destroy anything it was in front of :rotfl::rotfl:

* Courtesy of SSB's works van..

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I've access to one which runs at 3500psi* :evilaugh: Trouble is you would need to wedge the frame against something to stop it shooting all over the place and the jetter would pretty much destroy anything it was in front of :rotfl:
Definately :)
I generally find it easiest to stand on smaller stuff and fire straight down on top. The fine mist that envelopes me is particularly pleasant in our current weather :)

I took the engine in and out of one of my cars just before Christmas and the cool spraying to clean everything was the most enjoyable part of the job :)

·
Registered
434 Posts
WD40 sucks as a penetrating oil compared to other brands but for degreasing or removing adhesive left behind by decals or stickers it works perfectly. I would spray the frame down with WD40 and let it soak in for awhile. Then like others have stated hit it with you high powered pressure washer. If you use some dish soap in the high pressure washer when you clean of the grease and then rinse that off with just water from the pressure washer you should have a very clean frame when you are finished. Good luck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i used a wire wheel in my 4.5" grinder worked well took it to bare metal and paint came out perfect. i found it was easier to control than a drill. i used engine degreaser to get all the crud off it first though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts