Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I changed my clutch friction plates as the bike would no longer climb up my driveway. When I put the clutch cover back on I inadvertently pinched the oil sender (?) wire when I tightened the bolts down. I didn't notice this until after I had started the bike and let it run for awhile. After I noticed it I parked the bike and removed the clutch cover to find that the wire was still intact but frayed in two different locations. I checked resistance from the connection to the frayed spot furthest away and it was still good. When I tried to restart the bike it was completely dead. No life whatsoever. Gauge lights wouldn't turn on, my fuel pump wouldn't pump, and no action from the starter. I have checked every fuse that I know about that I think would pertain to starting the bike, and all are good. Yes, even the 20A fuse that's plugged into the starter relay. Does anyone have any idear whatsoever could be causing this problem?

Bike is a 1993 900RR.

Kris

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody owns a 900 anymore?

My battery is fully charged up. I've checked voltage to the starter relay, but if that was bad I would at least have dash lights and headlights. I have absolutely nothing, nada.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Nobody owns a 900 anymore?

My battery is fully charged up. I've checked voltage to the starter relay, but if that was bad I would at least have dash lights and headlights. I have absolutely nothing, nada.

Anyone have any ideas?

Lots of people own them, that hardly means they can diagnose your problem though :)
I guess you will have to follow the power from the battery to find where it stops.
If you have no dash lights then I'd be looking at the ignition switch and the connection between the battery and the harness.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I got the frontend tore apart and started troubleshooting at the ignition switch. It ohm'd out fine. The very first connector I came to was very difficult to separate, which made me suspicious. Sure enough, once apart the red wire connection got hot enough to melt the surroundings of the connector. I cut out the connector and rewired the wires. What do you know?? The bike again has power to everything! Now it's time to start tucking wires a little and replace instrument cluster bulbs--if I can find out exactly what type the 2 small ones are (the 7 larger ones are 194 bulbs).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts