Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, i am new to the forum but i came across something today which i think i need some clarity on.

I purchased a 2013 Fireblade from a dealer a few months ago, so i thought id get ahead of the curve and find out what oil is in the bike so i can make sure i have some on hand incase i need some, so when i asked he said they use Castrol 20w50 mineral oil in all of their bikes when they service etc.. but everyone i know is recommending i use 10w40 oil.
So my question is: Do i just go with what the deal is doing or should i change the oil altogether.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
I use Castrol but I wouldn't use what is essentially a car engine oil.

With no criticism of your dealer which might have a bulk purchase arrangement for the 20-50, you might be interested to read that even Castrol doesn't mention it for motorcycles:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mate, are you sure they don’t mean they use Castrol Power 4T 20/50?

I see your in SA, so if your in a high temp region then a 20/50 might make sense, if not just pick a good bike specific 10/30 or 40 depending on your temperature region.

Mineral oil as we know it is for older vehicles and or those on a mega tight budget, not modern superbikes, so check out if it’s the 4T which is a motorcycle semi syn oil, which is critical for bike clutches, the additives in car specific oils don’t love bike clutches.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use Castrol but I wouldn't use what is essentially a car engine oil.

With no criticism of your dealer which might have a bulk purchase arrangement for the 20-50, you might be interested to read that even Castrol doesn't mention it for motorcycles:
Thanks, will have to get it drained and changed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mate, are you sure they don’t mean they use Castrol Power 4T 20/50?

I see your in SA, so if your in a high temp region then a 20/50 might make sense.

Mineral oil as we know it is for older vehicles and or those on a mega tight budget, not modern superbikes, so check out if it’s the 4T which is a motorcycle semi syn oil, which is critical for bike clutches, the additives in car specific oils don’t love bike clutches.
No he definitely said 20/50 Mineral oil :p

·
Registered
426 Posts
I think he means conventional oil. The weight is fine for a hot climate, definitely change it out of you're going to be riding when it's 40C. As far as car vs motorcycle oil, the main difference is the friction inhibitors in car oil. If you get low moly and low zinc oil you'll be ok. Obviously you don't want friction inhibitors because you have a wet clutch. Cars don't do they just want to reduce friction.
Non-motorcycle specific oils are great because they're cheaper. A good option is rotella t6. It's a diesel oil without friction inhibitors and many people recommended it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
When I had my 2011, 10w-40 was the good stuff. What does your owner's manual say btw?

I recall Honda having a chart outlining the appropriate oil weight Vs exterior temperature, etc. Can go here to download an owner's manual btw if you never got one with your bike: Owners Manuals - Honda

1 - 8 of 8 Posts