Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was wanting to order a scotts or gpr damper. the parts counter person at the local shop saying that they leak and that i should just go with a linear ohlins damper for my 929. either way he would have to order if i bought thru him. i cant believe its not a good product so many people are running these any input guys

·
Registered
511 Posts
actually in the Traxxion "suspension for mortals" video, max also says the rotary dampers are not good for sportbikes, only for dirtbikes.. i have a Scotts on mine, without issue for about 25K miles.. I would prolly grab a Ohlins tube style damper if i had to do it again though..:idunno:

·
Registered
265 Posts
I had a GPR2 on my kawasaki for 12000 miles. I loved it and never had any issues. The top mount set up makes adjusting on the fly very convenient.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Your typical parts counter dweeb knows a little about a lot...take what he and Max McAllister say with a huge grain of salt (especially depending on which manufacturer Max is currently contracted with). Rotary dampers are very effective in controlling head shake on both dirt and sportbikes. Either Scotts or Ohlins are excellent dampers.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The thing I like about the Scotts(Ohlins) rotary damper is the high and low speed damping. I can keep the low speed all the way down so it turns like I do not have a damper, But even though I can not feel it I know it is working because I have not been scared on my bike since I installed it. I run track days at Barbers and the difference is night and day.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Great input guys!!

I heard the same BS a couple times, but I never believe what dealers say about specific parts. They just want to sell something.

I have been looking for a Scotts or GPR damper and this site has been an invaluable resouce in all of my dealings in the wonderful (and sometimes corrupt) motorcycling world.

Thanks to all!
:clap:

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
i personally don't have experience with anything other than the HESD on my 1k but i have one friend that swears by the gpr's and another that has a zx10 and absolutely hates his ohlins.. :huh: any of the top brands that have been around for a while will do wonders especially for the 929/954...

·
Registered
251 Posts
the oly bad thing i have heard about rotary is that some of them actualy need to drill your top triple...i would never do that.
I have a hyperPro CSC and it transformed my 929.Before i put it,i have had some major tank slappers on the crappy roads.
Get whatever type you like,they all do the job!

·
Registered
140 Posts
You should read this thread.

GPR V4 Damper for K7-K8 : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com

It states that GPR rotary dampers had some problem with leaking oil. It appears that the problem is fixed as long as you get a newer unit.

According to people in the thread GPR had either a design problem or defective oil seals from their supplier.

The Scotts rotary damper (which is an ohlins) aparently does not have this problem.

Perhaps the counter person assumed the GPR oil leak issue was applicable to all rotary dampers.

From the information in the thread the Scotts appears to have a better warranty....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Your typical parts counter dweeb knows a little about a lot...take what he and Max McAllister say with a huge grain of salt (especially depending on which manufacturer Max is currently contracted with). Rotary dampers are very effective in controlling head shake on both dirt and sportbikes. Either Scotts or Ohlins are excellent dampers.
+1000. Very well said. I love my Scott's top mount. Issue free.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I own a Scotts damper. But the linear dampers are better. They have less slop than the rotary ones do. That being said, mine hasn't let me down yet.
If I had to do it again, I'd buy the Ohlins linear (shock style) damper.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts