Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start a dealership in my area...it is something I have always dreamed of...so I think its due time i look into it much further. Where the heck can I get information on this? anyone know anything? I am just beginning research on doing something like this...so any tips will help! I need to know franchise info and all!

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
The way I understand it...you can't really start up a new Franchise...without millions of dollars, that is. Best Bet is to buy a dealership (ie:franchise) or the rights thereto already in existence...which is also VERY expensive.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Basic ingredients:

- Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of time
- Lots of money
- Lots of patience
- Lots of perseverence
- A good measure of luck

...and that's just scratching the surface

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
are you kidding me?  I need like millions....SUPER!  I have a few family members that are willing to toss some $ into the pot...but I doubt I could get over 1 million.  what a fricking joke.  There are a few to buy around here that SUCK, so maybe thats what I have going for me...I will have to check it out more, and see what I can do!

The nearest Honda dealer in my area is like 50 miles away...but there are no ducati or aprillia dealers in the area either...oh I could just move!

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
SMTB: If you want to start an Aprilia dealer simply call Seacoast Sport Cycle in Salem NH, ask to talk to Jesse(owner). He started his Aprilia dealer and you could ask how he went about doing it. He has been in business for like 6 yrs now. Jesse was the #2 dealer in the nation and knows what he is doing. When he started he was in a small, very small shop. He has done so well that he is moving into a brand new building soon. Just a thought. Other then that, I agree you need $$$$$$$ and lots of it.

Dano

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Reaper...You know Jesse?! Kewl! We do business with him everynow and then. Very nice guy.

...and I think they are currently the number 1 Aprilia dealer in the country... or at least on this side of the Rockies anyway. I forget.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
nhff13: Oh yeah I know him. I spent quite a bit of time at the shop when I lived there. Spent some money there to. He's a great guy and always was nice to me and my friends when we ordered stuff through him, also gave us really good deals. I know he has been #1 on the eastside of the country since he started carrying those fine Italian 'pasta rockets' known as Aprilias. In fact he and the other owner got a free trip to Italy to tour the plant a few years back...lucky bastage.

Dano

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
I think even if you try to buy an existing dealership, Honda still has to approve the sale and/or transfer of the distribution rights.

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
My brother and I have kicked around this idea for some time now. We have decided that if we were to do this we would open up a used bike/salvage yard. It may be awhile before this happens though, my brother just sold a business that he owned (or own3d him) for thirty years, I think he wants some time off.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For Honda:

rigth on the money. I would have to have about 1.5 mil in the bank/assets, and I would then have to move to a location of there choice. I would only be able to sell Honda, and Honda only.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
ReaperAZ :  In fact he and the other owner got a free trip to Italy to tour the plant a few years back...lucky bastage.

Dano
hehe
Jesse just went there again a couple of months ago.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The dealership that I worked at(YAMAHA, HONDA) was bought for just around $250k back about 8yrs ago.

That said, he still had to show assets of approx 1mill.

What he did was, showed them all the old computer equipment that he had laying around for 10 yrs(He was into that prior) and he put a value on each piece like the 10yr old tech was really worth something still.
They didnt really know any better, but thats how my old boss got into it.

Remember something though, especially after being a member here, Honda are not pulling it the same $$ they used too.
They are so deeply discounted off of MSRP that it'll take a long long long time to get back any $$ invested!

Check out Yamaha, great price points to customers, and to the dealer!
Yamaha usually offers products that go directly against Honda's stuff at a cheaper price. Sometimes with truly better features.

Suzuki has HUGE profit margins, or at least they did a few years back when I sold them.
I was always happy to sell one of those.
As an ex. In 1999 when I sold a Gixer600, I made approx $160 per bike @ 15% comm of gross profit, the F4, I made approx $130. and it was costing more at the time I blieve.

Hope some of that helps you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts