Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went on a ride this Sunday with a large group to Arivaca Road. There was something like 3o bikes in the group. Much larger then I would have liked to ride with. Arivaca Road is a very fun road, twisty with a bunch of elevation changes. It's a road that is not travelled by the police so for us sportbikers it's heaven. We ended up breaking the group up into a few smaller groups for safety reasons. I was in the first group of 5 bikes who I ride with all the time and feel very safe riding with. We got to our destination and had our coffee and snacks. AS the next group pulled up they asked if we saw the guy on the 1000RR crash. YIKES...the only one in the group is a friend of mine Sam, who got his 1000RR a few weeks ago. As it turns out he blew a decreasing radius left hander at around 90mph and totalled his bike :crap: . He has a concusion(sp?) and a broken thumb. That poor 100RR has next to nothing left on its left side. The left clip-on slammed into the frame denting it. There's a big hole in the case, missing all the plastics, and the left head light is destroyed. I didn't have my digi cam to get any pics but it was a sad day for Sam.

Dano

·
Registered
422 Posts
Looks like that helmet saved his life :confused:
Glad your friend is ok, but can i ask what his riding experiance is prior to owning a 1000RR :huh:

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I hope this isn't committing sportbike heresy, but I think 90mph on a twisty road with limited sight lines is too damned fast. I'm old enough to remember the days ( when I was walkin' to school 450 miles one way in the snow and doin' sums on the back of a shovel with a lump of coal....) when there was NO access to a racetrack for those of us with limited talent or limited means. For that matter, there was no MSF course and the only way to learn THAT stuff was to crash or watch someone else go down in flames.

So now, I really think that we have to make use of those resources rather than to get too crazy on the streets.

And I've also ridden really fast in the twisties, but I have always tried to ride 'the pace'. Since I have access to a track now,I am much less tempted too hang it out on the public roads.

When we ride fast and crash, it gets hard for me to condemn stuntaz, since the danger to the public, ourselves, our bikes, and the actuarial insurance tables is the same.

So there's my sermon, delivered by a sinner.

Bottom line, Reaper, I'm really glad your friend was wearing good gear edit: No jacket? God, he's lucky - and stupid... and escaped with minor injuries.

·
Registered
259 Posts
crazycuRRie said:
Looks like that helmet saved his life :confused:
Glad your friend is ok, but can i ask what his riding experiance is prior to owning a 1000RR :huh:
The guy said 6 years in that linky do above...

Those pics make me want to :puke:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
To be honest I can't help but think that such big riding groups are bound to end in disaster for someone. A group of fifteen bikes? Way too many imo.

Tail end charlie will be working his bum off trying to keep up, everyone's egos getting in the way, different riding skills and experiences, guys watching the bike in front and not the road. Not good.

I like to ride with one or two others only. Maybe three if it's someone I know and can trust.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
SuperDave said:
"a little" is right. First of all - Glad your friend is alright.
85-90mph blind turn? Judging other rider's brake lights as to when to slow down? T-shirt? Oh well, just another $11,000 bike insurance will pick up, now to pick up a black one... :rolleyes:
$11,000 bike & a $20 T-shirt I can't believe how many people ride like this not just sportbike riders but, cruisers too. :idunno:

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, that's why the 4 others I was with decided to seperate ourselves from the group. As far as him watching the guy infront of him for his brake lights, glad he wasn't behind me then, cause I only use my brakes on 2 nasty turns on that road. They are 25mph "suggested" speed limit turns and you need to slow down for those bad boys. Inexperience is what caused this crash for sure. He may have been riding for six years but how many of those six years was he learning how to better his riding? I'm not saying he's a bad rider just should have known HIS limit on HIS bike, not by watching the guy infront of him. Just MHO.

Dano

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
BigKahuna said:
Why would anyone go out on a twisty riding day, only wearing a tee shirt? :idunno:
Same reason anyone would go out on a twisty riding day on a race-rep sportbike without a damper fitted. :idunno:

·
Registered
309 Posts
I hate to hear about people wadding their new bikes. You friend fared pretty well for a 90mph crash. Here's to a speedy recovery. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts