Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What did you guys pay for your 2008 blade? Im interested in one but I am unsure if I want to trade my 929 in for it. Im unsure what to do:idunno: . I know I would love the new blade, but i would be picking up a payment:thumbd: . All the Dealers around here are holding tight at $11,500 and On dealer claim they will give me 5k for my 929 but they still want 8k out the door , sounds to me like they are throwing another Grand in there. I could spend $7k and have an 07 liter bike of my choice and keep my 929. any opinions? and from those who have ridden an 08 how did it compare and how did u like it?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
You might like to try sending Crazy Freddy a PM and ask him what he can do for you, he is a site sponsor so you never know what he might have up his sleeve. The 08 is very much worth getting, we have a lot of very positive feedback as I am sure you would have seen.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Call all of the dealers in your state and tell them you are price shopping. Make them work for you.

I was thinking of waiting till next year and seeing if there are any leftover 08's.

Can you really get any 07 for 7K? Are they brand new leftovers or are you talking used?

Personally, I wouldn't keep two sportbikes that have such similar purposes. Well maybe you could keep the 929 for the trunk. lol.

Anyone have any experience with the 929 and the 08 1000? I'd be curious to your impressions on the differences between the two. I rode a 2007 cbr600rr (according to the magazines about as quick as the 929, 1/4 mile time only .1 sec slower), and prefer my 929. I know those are apples to oranges, but I haven't ridden any newer liter bikes yet.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Spent a few grand to trick out the 929. You'll have a unique bike that will easily keep up, and money in the bank as well.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
929 is already tricked out, The local dealer has an 08 1000rr I can get for $10,300 he also has a sweet 06 1000rr that has a pipe, windscreen , sliders, and a custom passenger seat. but wants too much, (8800) I have about 15000mi on the 929, and its 8yrs old, Im unsure if I should keep it or upgrade, to newer, less miles, more power, and less weight.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the 929 but I wonder how long I should hold on to it. Or if I should get a new one and upgrade every 3yrs or so. Do you guys see the 929's and 954s as a collector piece down the road or is it gonna continue to depreiciate to the point where its not worth much? If I can sell mine out right for 6k I could get a brand new 08 for $5600 OTD plus the cash from my bike.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My bike has: Painted ram air covers, and chin piece (behind wheel), Pazzo levers, double bubble wind screen, PCIII, Micron serpent full system, undertail, custom rear seat, sargent pilot seat, painted and polished rims, JT Sprockets 15/42, rear hugger, speedohealer, Freestyle inginuity engine cage, Harris grips, and pro impact Bar ends, Its black, red, with erion tail. Ive ran full synthetic ever since Ive owned the bike.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Sure it will depreciate, so will the new one, only worse. You keep a bike for a long time you may not be stylish, but you'll be wise. Sounds like your bike is plenty fast, I doubt new will be that much better. Maybe someone else knows better than me. I keep bikes and cars as long as I can, I save money that way. I just make certain I buy vehicles I really like. I really like my 954. Don't want a new one.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I seen about 10 bikes parked downtown tonight and there was another 929 and I must say, it looked pretty sexy among all the other bikes, I'm pondering with keeping my 929 and buying a 600 or smaller bike and teaching my wife to ride. Im with you on keeping vehicles for a while but I feel bikes are a little different because of thier purpose and the way the deprieciate so much, I have a 69 raodrunner , and an 88 mustang that will be around forever.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you can appreciate a 69 roadrunner, keep your bike! It will depreciate but you'll only lose money by upgrading. If you get in the habit of wanting the newest bike, you'd better be ready to lose a few grand every other year. I've never had an older blade, but being on this site has made me realize that you can be happy with your bike's characteristics and save a loooot of money. A lot of people here think I have one of the worst years of the blade, but I love it and won't ever get rid of it. I think the 08 is a phenominal piece of machinery, but I'm pretty confident that the 2011 will have 08 owners fighting the same internal struggle.

So how about posting some pics of the roadrunner?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
The rice burners are just bit so solid. I could understand wanting to ditch the bike before it began malfunctioning, but I don't think I've ever owned a Honda that broke down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
the 929 is lighter than any of the newer liter bikes except for the 954

your joking right? what does the few pounds (if that) lighter get you? what advantage? the new cbr feels and performs as if it were 100 pounds lighter as does the new ZX10. In any objective or measurable performace area the 929 is left for dead. Time marches on..... BUT there are other reasons to have a bike and the 929 is a cool ass classic imho.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Doubt it strongly. Put a good rider on the 929 and a so-so rider on the new and see what happens.
ok, whatever and put a good rider on both and the 08 leaves it for dead. The point is any person will go faster when they upgrade to an 08 unless the suck so bad that they shouldn't be on a liter bike to begin with, which I must admit is about 98% of the tools out there. Another way of putting it is if you can't do better on an 08 then it doesnt matter what bike u have because u suck.

·
Registered
715 Posts
06cbr1k I believe the 06,07 blades are very well liked indeed. It's the 04,05 that many aren't so fond of.

I personally haven't ridden the 08 or 06,07 models. I've heard from someone who has on here (maybe maholli) the the 08 was even more flickable than the 929. I'm not sure if he meant that every other blade was less flickable or not.

Have you ridden the 929 and the 08 blade? I'd be interested in your thoughts on the differences in ride, and handling. I would assume the 08 is way better in all aspects, but maybe it's just better or not as good at one aspect. I know some of the reviews I've read on the 08 say it's way better than the 07, but then again don't they always say that when comparing a new model to an older one?

·
Registered
265 Posts
06cbr1k I believe the 06,07 blades are very well liked indeed. It's the 04,05 that many aren't so fond of.

I personally haven't ridden the 08 or 06,07 models. I've heard from someone who has on here (maybe maholli) the the 08 was even more flickable than the 929. I'm not sure if he meant that every other blade was less flickable or not.

Have you ridden the 929 and the 08 blade? I'd be interested in your thoughts on the differences in ride, and handling. I would assume the 08 is way better in all aspects, but maybe it's just better or not as good at one aspect. I know some of the reviews I've read on the 08 say it's way better than the 07, but then again don't they always say that when comparing a new model to an older one?

Many people on this site have expressed the idea that the 1000rr was flawed because it was not a product of Tadeo Baba (I'm sure I'm spelling it wrong). They seem to feel as though the 06-07 was an improvement, however they still don't give it the respect that they give the 900-954. I don't lose sleep over it. If my bike is a fireblade, awesome. If the only "real" fireblades are those designed by Babason, I'll put them on the long list of bikes that are slower than mine.:eyebrows:

For the 04-05 models, I knew a guy with an 05 zx10 (I had one as well) who bought an 05 1000rr as well. He then sold the zx10. While the numbers on the 04-05 were not flattering, the handling and the usability were par for the course for Honda. I made the mistake of buying a bike based on dyno charts (see above) and I won't do it again.

I'd say that the 08 is a great example of Honda's continued drive toward superior handling, reliability and power that a rider can actually put to the ground. If it weren't for my emotional attachment to my 06, it probably would've been traded in by now.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I appreciate all the input. I went back to the dealer and looked at the 06 they had and the 08. I got him down to pretty much now profit on the 08 but the o6 they have, I liked so much better. I wanted the 08 based on the front fairing, gp exhaust, and awsome reviews, but I test rode the 06 and it feels so much lighter and smoother handling then my 929, I have an emotional attatchment to the 929 and that is why the decision is so hard for me, but the 06 has almost everything done to it I have done to my 929. So I put money on the 06, he is going to let me take my full serpent system and power commander off and put it back to stock and he is still giving me the same money for it.. $4700, I paid $4200 for it 3yrs ago so even tho I am putting money with it I think I will be just as happy with the 06 except I will miss the trunk space. once I polish and paint the wheels it will be like an new version of my 929. The 06 is red/black, custom back seat, motovation frame sliders, zero gravity windshield, tank pad, and a titanium FMF pipe, If I ad Pazzo levers, sargent seat,and paint and polish the rims, I'll have all the upgrades I had with the 929. I think once the deal is done I'll feel really good about it. I almost bought the 08 but he only had the yello and black one and I would want to put all kinds of stuff on it, this 06 I can just close one door and open another and not feel like I sacrificed. sorry for the long post and your thoughts are appreciated. The 06 sounds like my 929, pulls harder, and handles so much better.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts