Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do not buy from Dell.

The products are good at decent prices and discounts are readily available.

HOWEVER - their customer suppost SUCKS, SWALLOWS, and BLOWS all at the same time.
I was on the phone with them for 3.5 hours today and last night. I was hung up on twice - once after a 75 minute wait. Not to sound racist - but, No person I spkoke to either day was American. They wre Phillipino, Panamanian, and Indian. Not a single one of them understood the outrage I had for the reps hanging up on me. Not one of them tried to make it better by an apology or discount of the products - EVEN after i threatened to send my new system back. In short - they did not understand the value of a customer and the power of the word (spreading the bad poop on them to my fellow bikers, geeks, and boozers)

If anybody knows anybody that works at Dell Corporate - I would like to hear from you - as I want to file an official complaint against the people who hung up on me.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
WWW.BBB.COM! I have never need to call dells tech support. And hell, I even got a free 15' LCD mon. from them cuz they screwed up

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
I have a rep for Dell through work. If you would like his contact info I'd be more then happy to PM it to ya. His name's Mike(he's American)

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
'Duuuude, your gettin' a Dell' - NOT! When I was shopping some months ago I gave Dell 3, count them, 3 shots. Every time I called I was told different prices, shipping info, etc. Two of the three reps did not even mention an existing rebate. Fook them! I ended up ordering from ABS Computers. They have several base configurations, and from there I could choose from several options on all parts, everything from CPU to tower. The one time I have had to call them I didn't wait all that long, and the tech was most helpful (although not American ). Hope ya get it sorted out - me, I would send the POS back.

·
Registered
193 Posts
dude i just build mine myself...you know exactly what you're getting and what kind of performance you can expect. And you don't have to worry about all that prebundled software crap they give u.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
glory452 : dude i just build mine myself...you know exactly what you're getting and what kind of performance you can expect.  And you don't have to worry about all that prebundled software crap they give u.
Been doing that for the last 8 years, every single PC I've built still runs, and still have all of them.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
I have a client that is an all Dell (at the desktop) shop. They have a large room filled with dead stations that they rotate out the door (as Dell won't accept more than 20 units per shipment due to their agreement). This office has approximately 400 users and at any point in time during the past 24 months, I have yet to see less than 60 dead machines in this room and sometimes over 100. They have 2 full time staffers that do nothing but pack up and ship Dell equipment back for repair.

Exponential growth in a short period of time isn't always a good thing . . .

·
Registered
199 Posts
Not to come to the defense of Dell, but in a lot of cases the tech support you receive from them is not actually from Dell themselves. They subcontract this out to companies. There is one such company near me called Convergys. They are also a call center for Gateway.

To make a long story short, this place will hire just about anyone to answer calls. I knew a couple of guys that worked there. Not exactly the best and brightest of the bunch. So the fact that all this happened to you is not really a surprise.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I had to call 'Dell Support' one time and the person hardly spoke english and didn't understand what I was saying.

The only reason I got a Dell was because the University has a contract with them and staff gets discounts.

We can buy full versions of XP OS, XP office and other software for $8.00 instead of $300 retail.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I'll chime in here too...

I recently had my Dell mother board crap out on me. I called tech support and spoke with a woman and we went through troubleshooting hardware. Anyway, I was told to call another # to set up a service call since the problem was apparently a hardware issue. So, I called the service center (a subcontractor) the next business day to set up an appt. That same day, I also got a call from a service tech telling me that he could be at my house that afternoon. The tech was totally prepared with all parts that had to be replaced. I was impressed with the promptness of getting things resolved.

Now, another Dell story...I ordered two PDA's from them. One was sent to me and the other was not. I called to find out what the problem was and was told that it was on backorder but a shipment was scheduled to arrive any day. Ok, so no problem. After a week of calls to at least 5 other folks including a sales rep, no one could tell me why my order was being delayed. Sounded to me like total laziness since they kept telling me to call back. Anyway, I finally got that order canceled (after more phone calls and empty promises) and reordered. Wouldn't you know that the re-order got to me in a few days...same model too. I just don't understand how some people operate. Unfortunately, it seems that we have to weed through the incompetent folks to get to the ones that are worthwhile.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
abtech : I have a client that is an all Dell (at the desktop) shop.  They have a large room filled with dead stations that they rotate out the door (as Dell won't accept more than 20 units per shipment due to their agreement).  This office has approximately 400 users and at any point in time during the past 24 months, I have yet to see less than 60 dead machines in this room and sometimes over 100.  They have 2 full time staffers that do nothing but pack up and ship Dell equipment back for repair.

Exponential growth in a short period of time isn't always a good thing . . .
Hmmm, that's funny, we've got about 110 Dell workstations on the ship, at any given moments, no less than 12-15 are down

·
Registered
759 Posts
So what brand is recommended for those of us that can't build our own? I have a Compac (don't laugh) and have had a few problems so I won't go back.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I've had two Dells, a laptop and a desktop and also purchased a much in demand digital camera (Canon G2 when it was first offered) from them. No problems at all with the ordering process.

With my laptop I had the power inverter (I believe) go bad for the lcd. It caused a portion of the screen to just go black. Called Dell support and they worked it all out quickly. Had it picked up and was back to my house in I believe 3 days with a new LCD.

No problems with the desktop.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Due to enterprise agreement our shop is all Dell, servers, workstations, laptops. I'm thinking that support from our perspective is a little different that the average Joe user. We are one of 15 hospitals in the enterprise and our workstation inventory alone is somewhere around 1200. I haven't seen a single workstation sent back in the two years I've been here. There have been a few mother boards replaced and a DOA CDROM etc... here or there but that's it. A few of us went throught their 'certification' which just means you know how to find info on their support site. So now we troubleshoot the system, decide what we need, fill out a form on the internet, and the parts are on my desk the next day with a prepaid return bill. I will admit that if you have to call them on the phone, the first person you get barely knows how to read the 3x5 card they're looking at but we've really had few instances where we couldn't get our issue resolved by getting to the second level. And in those cases we just drop an email to the West coast large account manager for healthcare and stuff happens pretty quickly. Strange how experiences could vary so much.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Heavy-Dee : For those of us that could build our own, where is the best place to buy components, and what is the best way to insure compatibility of those components?

HD
This place ain't to bad. Buddy bought a complete system from them for $300 shipped.

http://www.pricewatch.com/

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Pricewatch is a good place, but be careful.  There used to be a lot of shady dealers on there, or dealers that will do anything to sell you a PC, and after that it's like they've never seen you.  I used to work for one of them

EDIT: GoGo City is a good place as is Tigerdirect More GoGo City then anything though...

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
this was for more memory to fit my system since it is hard as hell to find now.

pricewatch - do a search on some of the retailers and check their ratings on cnet and epionion. some are truly rip off artists by the write ups of them

i am truly sad to see so many people have had the same problem with the company. they are actually a reseller of some of our less expensive equipment

1 - 20 of 21 Posts