Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh dear oh dear, some people never learn....

I had a little incident on my way in to work again today, the whole situation was spookily similar to my other recent off.

A couple of miles away from home, I was riding through the lanes - same as before, except different lanes. Now I thought I had learned from last time, so seeing the road was wet I was taking it VERY steady. I came to a right hand bend (like before), on a road just about 2 cars wide, with banks eiter side and trees/bushes on top of the bank.

Before I knew what was happening the bike just slipped away from underneath me again! It then kind of snaked back to the other side, and I headed towards the left hand bank at an angle. I ended up in the sloppy wet mud at the side of the road, with my bike on its side. I picked up the bike, got back on and rode to a small layby to inspect the damage....

It's actually not that bad, the soft mud cushioned the impact plus it was at slow speed - probably only about 15mph at the start of the whole thing. The front subframe has bent again (probably weakened from last time) and and the fairing mount appears to have bent again. No major problem, I just need to bend them back in to shape again and re-apply the gaffa tape! The mud on the fairing goes with the mud that's still on there from last time.... :whistle:

So no major damage, and I am unscathed, apart from a muddy boot and trousers!

After I had inspected the damage, I turned around to see what had caused it. There really wasn't much to see, but the road surface for that short stretch was again really slippery underfoot. There was almost no friction between my boots and the road. It was VERY cold last night, with a lot of water on that part of the road from all of the rain over the weekend - it is still running from the fields across the road. I assume the high banks sheltered this part of the road and the water that froze last night has not had a chance to thaw.

What is scary though is how, even at slow speed and with caution, the same thing happened so quickly. I thought I was riding in a fashion that would allow me to pass through safely, with the expectation of ice, but clearly not. By the time I realised what was going on the bike was already on its side and I was in to damage limitation. Just something for us all to keep in mind I think - even though the sun is shining, it can still be lethal out there.

I'm now well versed in crashing - I'm catching up to bladeracer pretty quickly! I've been down more than Jordan's drawers. I think I need to change my name to Des the Crasher.....

·
Registered
21,183 Posts
Oh Des tut tut, seriously glad your safe again, thats the main thing. Although this is going to do your confidence no good at all.
Forgive me for seeming a little patronising but want to ask a couple of simple questions.

What tyres are you using and what condition are they in?

Which brakes were you using at this real slow speed?

As you said there is a good possibility you came across black ice, which is pretty unlucky.

If I were you Id leave the bike in the garage until the roads are clean and dry, so you can get your confidence back, just MHO.

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Oh Des tut tut, seriously glad your safe again, thats the main thing. Although this is going to do your confidence no good at all.
Forgive me for seeming a little patronising but want to ask a couple of simple questions.

What tyres are you using and what condition are they in?

Which brakes were you using at this real slow speed?

As you said there is a good possibility you came across black ice, which is pretty unlucky.

If I were you Id leave the bike in the garage until the roads are clean and dry, so you can get your confidence back, just MHO.
LOL, I'm OK and confidence is not too bad either. In fact I had a great ride in yesterday afternoon, sunny and about 8 degrees - the winter chicken strips were long gone! After I had checked out the slippery road, I turned back around and rode to work so I'm still riding! I don't give up that easily....

Tyres - they are Continental TKV11/12 - strange looking tyres but OK. The rear is approaching the indicator, but a good couple of mm to go. The front about half done. TBH the tyres were irrelevant, there was little if any grip available on that stretch of road.

Brakes - no brakes, I was going that slowly! I must have only been a few degrees from vertical when it all went wrong....

I'm not too bothered about this crash - an hour to take off the fairing, bend things back to rough shape and re-tape everything up and I'll be back to where I was before.

And you don't sound patronising, I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
902 Posts
As long as you dont make it a habit, afraid it comes with the territory when you ride in winter, thats why i rarely rode a bike with a fairing when a was a courier. It was never if you came off it was when.........Lot of fun though.

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As long as you dont make it a habit, afraid it comes with the territory when you ride in winter, thats why i rarely rode a bike with a fairing when a was a courier. It was never if you came off it was when.........Lot of fun though.
Des, glad your ok. Now stop crashing !
:rotfl:
Glad you ok buddy:thumb: Look at it this way after about the tenth one you don't even keep track anymore,like just another day at the office.:D
"I've been down more than Jordan's drawers. !" Come on Des don't take the pith NO one has been down that many times!

Pleased your ok bro, and for gods sake keep it upright.
Crashes don't make prizes mate!
Cheers lads, you'll be glad to know I made it in to work today without falling off, that's quite some achievement! (And no, before any smart-arse asks, I was not in the car.... :rotfl:)

The bike was easier to 'fix' than I thought, I just bent the subframe back in to shape by pulling the mirror and applied some more gaffa tape to the inner fairing panels - job done! :thumb:

·
Registered
11,724 Posts
Cheers lads, you'll be glad to know I made it in to work today without falling off, that's quite some achievement! (And no, before any smart-arse asks, I wasn not in the car.... :rotfl:)

The bike was easier to 'fix' than I thought, I just bent the subframe back in to shape by pulling the mirror and applied some more gaffa tape to the inner fairing panels - job done! :thumb:
Result :thumb:

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
stabilisters ?????????!!!!!!!!

You guys take the P I S S

Bumper lanes would be better, ducking long ones....

Sorry Des
Ha bloody ha, you know you're really not that far away from me pal.....

...but then again, anything over a couple of miles should be safe, as I'll probably have fallen off by then. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.