Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a decent midgrade desktop for home, and thinking about breaking from Dell. Not trying to open a can of worms, but any thoughts on the best price/performance/reliability desktop as of today would be appreciated... :thumb:

Caveats:
I don't want to roll my own...

No apples...

No "never heard of em's"...

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
I would stay away from anything proprietary like HP, Compaq, etc. With all of the components integrated into the motherboard they're essentially disposeable. Upgradability is a must. That's the advantage of (most) generic mochines. The name on the box shouldn't really count. Pay more attention to what components it uses.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
I disagree. Most "real" desktops made by Lenovo or HP have 3 year onsite service, a decent upgrade path and excellent warranty. By the time the system requires non-warranty repair, it should be disposable.

Proprietary is misleading as well. Most 3rd tier motherboards are all about integrating most commonly used components on the board just like the big guys, so if the NIC or HBA takes a dump (and you want to replace it), you have the same options in both cases.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
I've had good luck with HP's systems. Less exposure to Lenovo desktops, but if they build them like they build their laptops you can't go wrong. E-machines have served me well the few times I've come accrossed them as well. Stay away from Celeron processors.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Abtech maybe things have changed since I last cracked a few computers open but every HP and Compaq I've looked inside was built as a throw-away. I've seen some of their boards where you can't even add RAM and there were no PCI slots.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
phobiaphobe said:
Abtech maybe things have changed since I last cracked a few computers open but every HP and Compaq I've looked inside was built as a throw-away. I've seen some of their boards where you can't even add RAM and there were no PCI slots.
Not the case today. My current Lenovo workstation has two 64 bit PCI-X slots and two 32 bit slots, 4 memory slots (one full from the factory) and a VPCI/AGP4 slot for graphics options. It also has 2 gigabit ethernet NICs onboard, 4 USB2 ports and 4 SATA ports along with 2 ATA-X ports. A bit beyond the normal desktop, but most of the current Lenovo & HP "real" business class desktops are quite adaptable.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
There's no such thing as the old proprietary thing any longer. They all use the same standards, they all have some MB integration, and if that MB unit fails you can just add a card.
And at the mid-grade level, they'll all be pretty much the same damned thing under the hood.
The Alienware systems seem to be a good "never heard of them" clone option if not wanting to roll your own.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can't do the Smeleron....need to do some CAD apps... :crap:

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For equivalent money....

3.0 Ghz Pentium 4 630 HT
- or -
2.8 Ghz Pentium D 820 Dual Core

:allears:

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
abtech said:
I disagree. Most "real" desktops made by Lenovo or HP have 3 year onsite service, a decent upgrade path and excellent warranty. By the time the system requires non-warranty repair, it should be disposable.

Proprietary is misleading as well. Most 3rd tier motherboards are all about integrating most commonly used components on the board just like the big guys, so if the NIC or HBA takes a dump (and you want to replace it), you have the same options in both cases.
:plus1: We stopped using Dell after one of the computers burned the input on the board for the mouse, just after the one year warranty ended. We now us HP and have had no problems, 2 years more warranty, they even gave us a better deal. FWIW

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
My last 2 Home computers have been emachines systems. more than enough open slots for upgrades and an extra hard drive and usb ports out the wazoo.. not a single complaint for either of them except that they become obsolete jsut as fast as the rest of them...

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Baketech said:
For equivalent money....

3.0 Ghz Pentium 4 630 HT
- or -
2.8 Ghz Pentium D 820 Dual Core

:allears:
Dual core... HANDS DOWN. There is a HUGE difference between those two technologies. HyperThreading makes the system look like it has 2 processors, but in fact it only has one. Dual core really is 2 processors, so you get twice the horsepower.

That's the simple answer. The long answer is boring, trust me.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
And for what it's worth... having dealt with hundreds of machines from HP, Dell, and IBM/Lenovo... they are all pretty much the same quality wise. Some are mechanically built better than others, but on average the cometetion has become so fierce and the margins so razor thin that the manufacturers have pretty much settled on the same chipsets, line processes, etc. The difference is in the tech support (pretty much all of them blow, being handled by some dude named Deepak Singh or something in India) and software image loaded on the machine when you get it. Some loads are so crappy you are better off blowing everything off of it and installing Windows fresh. Dell is a prime example of this.

Laptops are a different story... Lenovo hands down.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
phobiaphobe said:
Aren't all laptops built in 1 of 2 factories in Taiwan? Or have I been misled?
It's not the factory... its the mechanical design and the quality of parts that are chosen to go into the machine. You can use the same flextronics factory, but if you choose to use flimsy plastic for your casing and I choose titanium, which one will last?

Edit: yeah... there are really only a few huge outsourcers out there... luvtolean would know more than me, but I know flextronics and foxconn are 2 of the heavy hitters.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts