Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

· Registered
1,655 Posts
Anything above about 75 on my little 750 Shadow is something the bike doesn't like. It does vibrate a lot more since it's high in the rev range but that is expected with a twin. Not to mention, my little cruiser has no wind protection, so besides the wind and the vibes, that bike just doesn't like to go fast. After dragging it through Deal's Gap, I learned that it's no high revving 929 like what I had for years....

I've ridden several much larger cruisers and the heavier, bigger displacement bikes don't mind it as much but they also have 6 speeds, unlike my 5 speed Shadow.

· Registered
24 Posts
Anything above about 75 on my little 750 Shadow is something the bike doesn't like. It does vibrate a lot more since it's high in the rev range but that is expected with a twin. Not to mention, my little cruiser has no wind protection, so besides the wind and the vibes, that bike just doesn't like to go fast. After dragging it through Deal's Gap, I learned that it's no high revving 929 like what I had for years....

I've ridden several much larger cruisers and the heavier, bigger displacement bikes don't mind it as much but they also have 6 speeds, unlike my 5 speed Shadow.
smkeatr, or anyone else, when you go through gear changes and you are about to change to the next gear, is there a strong vibration? this is what i feel with each change in gear is i go pretty fast and get the revs up, and is the same vibration at 80 mph since revs are probably similar speed. This bike is an 1100 which to me seems like it should not be tough on the bike at 80 since top speed might be about 115-120! i don't know though since no knowledge of bikes.

maurice

· Registered
24 Posts
I'm not being a smart ass but you ARE closing the throttle when you pull the clutch in right? I re read what you said and it sounds like it's being over revved between gears.
yeah, of course. no, it is while there is still strong throttle, revs getting higher, right BEFORE i change, strong vibration. so it seems related to the revs, higher revs, more vibration. this is a pisser. someone on another forum that has my model 1100 says his does not do this.

maurice

· Registered
1,655 Posts
You may be at the very top end of the rev range just before hitting the rev limiter. Take your girl for a long ride on the highway on the back and see what she thinks.:smilebig:

If you wring the piss out of any twin, it will vibrate strong just before the limiter. I rode my co-workers Vulcan 2000 to the rev limiter in 1st, 2nd and 3rd, it vibrated a lot just before the limiter. It was ok, I was just following what he said to do so I could feel ALL of the power. It was fun.

· Registered
24 Posts
You may be at the very top end of the rev range just before hitting the rev limiter. Take your girl for a long ride on the highway on the back and see what she thinks.:smilebig:

If you wring the piss out of any twin, it will vibrate strong just before the limiter. I rode my co-workers Vulcan 2000 to the rev limiter in 1st, 2nd and 3rd, it vibrated a lot just before the limiter. It was ok, I was just following what he said to do so I could feel ALL of the power. It was fun.
so you cannot be saying the rev limiter on a 1100 honda is close to 80 mph? no way.there are no other gears after 5th.

maurice

· Registered
1,655 Posts
Doubtful, I've seen about 95 on my 750's and they were screaming. Poor things, I almost felt bad about wringing the little bikes out like that but I had to know. :D

I was thinking your 1100 was a 6 speed but I've never ridden one. Ridden a Valkryie, now that thing has some serious balls.

Keep diggin' for answers, I've run out of opinions but If I run across any further info, I'll post up.

· Registered
665 Posts
What bike are you coming from? If its anything but a V-Twin, you will think the bike is vibrating excessively. My wifes Spirit 750 vibrates quite a bit. But is tolerable. My VTX1800, when I had it, vibrated a lot when I was low in the RPM range. But it was not excessive!

· Registered
24 Posts
What bike are you coming from? If its anything but a V-Twin, you will think the bike is vibrating excessively. My wifes Spirit 750 vibrates quite a bit. But is tolerable. My VTX1800, when I had it, vibrated a lot when I was low in the RPM range. But it was not excessive!
Bigtoe, it's a 2001 spirit shadow vt1100c. I think i really need to let someone knowledgable about this question ride it. not honda dealer as they will charge Me to ride my bike.

maurice

· Registered
10 Posts
Depending on how much they charge it might be worth an experienced mechanic taking it out for a test drive. Friends and experienced riders can offer advice / wisdom but a mechanic is trained to diagnose problems. I'd hate to see you get some advice and act on it, then possibly make the situation worse.

As far as numb lips, bouncy eyes, and hurt feet... that's definitely *not* normal. Unless you're super super sensitive to vibration your lips should not be numbing out when you ride and your feet shouldn't be hurting. You could always try floorboards and new grips...?

· Registered
24 Posts
since i was not the one who started this post, the numb lips bouncy eyes etc. doesn't apply to me. I commented that when i first brought it to 80 mph, i thought "i could not ride like this for long".
The comment to take to experience mechanic sounds good. After all, if you have some friends that have same model and say it is normal, we all could have the same problem. I have heard others post that it is not normal, and they have same model.

maurice

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.