Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. New to forum. :) I recently purchased the APE manual cam chain tensioner and I have a couple quick installation questions. 1. Is there any need to block off the old oil passage for the old automatic cct? 2. Does the tank and airbox have to come off or just fairing? 3. Must you rotate the engine while setting tension on the manual cct? Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hi. New to forum. :) I recently purchased the APE manual cam chain tensioner and I have a couple quick installation questions. 1. Is there any need to block off the old oil passage for the old automatic cct? 2. Does the tank and airbox have to come off or just fairing? 3. Must you rotate the engine while setting tension on the manual cct? Thanks in advance!

Oil passage for the CCT?
Tank, airbox and fairing - some people claim you need to drop the engine even :)
It's fiddly but if you have ball-end extensions you shouldn't have too much trouble.
First tension the CCT, then check the cam timing (if you have the valve cover off), then rotate the engine and check the tension and timing again.

APE Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Installation

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
it is hinged but doesnt leave a whole lotta elbow room when its propped up. should be a prop stuck under your seat for the tank. mine was missing so i just made one out of some thicker copper rods i had laying around.

here is a link to the service manual you can download if you dont already have one

my bad, i didnt realize posting a link to the manual was for illegal material. i guess i can understand it if i was charging money for it or the link was, but i just thought it was sharing, not reproducing for the intent of monetary gain.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Thanks. I'm new to this. Is the tank hinged so it will just lift out of the way? Thanks again.

The 954 does hinge, but you'd probably end up wanting to remove it, be sure to use most of the fuel beforehand though - no fuel tap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts