Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if anyone else has ever had this problem, but I am getting (what sounds like) detonation/pinging on light-to-mid throttle in the lower RPMs once the bike gets warmed up. I have a PCIII using Booth's map, full race Hindle exhaust, and the flapper is removed. I have tried 4-5 different types of high-octane (92-93) gas with no luck. When I get into the upper RPMs, I can not pick up any audible detonation. Does anyone have ANY idea of what might be the problem here? The bike rides and performes fine...but the last thing I need is a blown engine.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Well, for one, you're using someone else's fine-tuned map for your (apparently significantly different) bike.

If you're sure it's pinging then I can think of three things to do:

- use a more conservative map (for now)
- get the bike tuned (not cheap, but cheaper than the potential alternative)
- if you're good enough, add fuel where it's needed (based on RPM/load where the knock is occurring)

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
2OHOH2954 : - get the bike tuned (not cheap, but cheaper than the potential alternative)
)
You've spent a heap already, it's only a couple of hundred more bucks to make sure it's perfect...

Well worth it in my eyes.

z...

·
Registered
18 Posts
custom map would be the way to go... that way its mapped for your motor with your pipe and set up...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thing is, I have tried three different maps from bikes with the same setup. I first installed this whole setup last summer and it didn't do it then. Only this year has the problem developed. The thing that is most concerningis that it only happens while at 20-30% throttle, even in the lower gears (1-2-3) with barely ANY load on the engine.

WTF!?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
XR4Guy : The thing is, I have tried three different maps from bikes with the same setup. I first installed this whole setup last summer and it didn't do it then. Only this year has the problem developed. The thing that is most concerningis that it only happens while at 20-30% throttle, even in the lower gears (1-2-3) with barely ANY load on the engine.

WTF!?
So... is it popping or pinging that you're hearing?

From what you're describing, that can't be pinging, which suggests that it's popping (backfire - too much fuel).

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Is it popping when you roll off the throttle? That's not a problem.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I just reread. I'll only say this in hopes that you are not another TAZ. The fireblade does not like a lot of throttle in 6th gear at 30 MPH.
Actually the blade doesn't like medium to heavy throttle below about 4.5K.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No...it's not 'popping' on deceleration. It's going 'tink...tink-tink-tink...tink' I know what detonation/ping sounds like and that's definately what it sounds like. It's happening in the 3-5k range...with 20-30% throttle being applied. VERY LITTLE LOAD on the engine. The thing runs perfect in the mid-upper RPMs.

ARGH!!!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
If you are confident in your skills work with the map yourself and test it until it's working to your liking.

I would recommend that you do it the right way. Take to a Dynojet Center (hopefully one with DynoLink software). Explain the issue to the dyno operator/tuner. They should be able to duplicate it on the stand. You guys could listen to the engine if you can duplicate it and see what's up.

Once duplicated you can confirm that the next actions (whetever they may be) resolve the issue. Standard debugging technique.

Around here custom DynoLink map is about $250. If it's a problem in just one area, it should be a lot less to get it rigged on the dyno, disable the PAIR and check mixture with a sniffer. Then you can re-tune.

You could have a bum engine ( know of a local guy who's '54 had a bad bottome end) but I think the likelyhood of that is so small it's almost a non-starter.

Good luck and post your fix once you get it sorted out.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Have you heard the same noise with your stock map?

I have found that Booth's map is very lean for me in South Florida and works very well for me in Deals Gap (much higher elevation).

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
My 929 was doing the same thing at 1 time, I just richened it up at that throttle range and rev range (added 5 to the figures) and problem went away.

I just marked the throttle, when I was riding and it pinged I took note of the rev range and what position the mark was at, then got home, plugged the bike into the comp, turned the throttle to the same spot, checked the pc3 software to what throttle percent it was, and changed the figures on the graph.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well...I ended up taking a map that was custom made for a friend of mine who had a 929 with a full Erion system. When I compared his map to the ones I was using, his low-end was significantly richer than mine. The factory flat spot was not present in the maps I was using, but it was detonating. The flat spot is back (but not AS bad as factory), but more importantly the pinging is totally gone. The mid-range and top-end on this bike is nothing short of insane now with this Erion map. Nothing better than the front end wanting to come up in 3rd on the eWay on-ramp.

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions...it's nice to actually enjoy the bike again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts