Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an awesome day, getting eight sessions in with two mates, although one was working in the morning and didn't get to the circuit until nearly 1600.

The overnight temperature bottomed at 3.2 degrees as I was crawling out of bed at 0700, but it had warmed up to 11 degrees when I got to the circuit, 235kms away, just after 1000. The windchill was brutal for two-and-half hours on the highway despite full leather (with the winter liner in the jacket), body armour, neck warmer and two track suits.

I pulled into the pits, dashed into the office to pay $100 for the day, pushed the bike over to be scrutineered, pushed it back to our pit bay to dump the tank bag, and went straight out onto the track. After the first session another scrutineer caught up with me and asked me to tape up my lights and mirrors :)

From being painfully cold, the first ten-minute session got me so hot I had to strip down to a tee-shirt, tracksuit pants and socks to cool down for half an hour, before getting back into my armour and leather :)

I wore a new lid I hadn't worn before and battled with the visor fogging up despite the breath mask. The straights were done one-handed as I had to hold the visor open to clear it enough to see the corners coming up. I think I only got one session that fogging wasn't a problem, when the temp was around 15 degrees. It reached 15.7 degrees at midday and went back down from there. That was also about when the rain really set in and increased for the rest of the day - awesome!

I have never had the ZX6R over 140kph so I really didn't know how it was going to handle the track, but it was flawless all day. During the week I gave it fresh oil, filter, brake fluid, chain, sprockets, and bearings and seals in the rear wheel. I noticed the sprocket carrier bearing wasn't good while I was doing the chain. I was pushed for time and almost didn't bother replacing it but after getting it out I was very glad I did. I really don't think it would've made it through the day. I lowered the gearing 25% and measured the wheelbase at 1335mm - 65mm shorter than stock. The tyres were a soft Shinko 003 front I fitted in March last year and a medium Shinko 005 rear I've been running since October 2010. The front took a good hard lap to come up to temp in the rain but otherwise was perfect. The rear tended to float around a bit but did the job just fine. I haven't checked the tyre pressures in the last few months and have no idea what they're at, but they worked brilliantly. I only had one serious frontend lose that was entirely due to me pushing it too hard on the first lap in heavy rain - the fact that I didn't go down tells me the tyre can do the job just fine.

After the last session I gave my mates a hand to load their bikes up, went round thanking the officials I could find, un-taped my lights, threw the tankbag on and headed home into the rain. It stopped raining about twenty minutes from home and it was 14.7 degrees when I arrived at 2000, wet and frozen - but still grinning from ear to ear :)

On the highway averaging around 110kph, I was getting around 17km per litre. I don't have an odometer so it's good to know now that I can make the trip on one tank next time.

·
Super Moderator
14,687 Posts
Sounds like you had a great day Larry, I'm jealous.
But did you really do the ride there and back plus the ride day without checking your tyre pressures?
Call me paranoid, but I check mine nearly every ride.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
That's not a bad fuel economy at all, especially considering the gearing !! Glad you had a time there mate !! :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But did you really do the ride there and back plus the ride day without checking your tyre pressures?
Yep :)
I only check the pressures when the bike starts telling me they're getting too low. For a race day I would normally inflate to about 38/42psi then adjust after the first session - much easier to let air out than to put it in :)
I'll try to remember to check them today and let you know what they are.

I haven't been running the rear caliper and only remembered on Friday to put it back on for scrutineering, and of course, they didn't even check it.

My shift linkage has been _very_ worn for a long while now - 40mm of vertical play and 20mm lateral - so I shimmed it with some Coke can and punched the rose joint rivets to tighten them up. Now it has 5mm vertical and perhaps 2mm lateral play, much nicer. Between tightening that up and new chain and sprockets it was like a new bike again :)

The bent frame takes 3.5 degrees or so out of the steering head and pulls the front axle back 60mm from stock. But it also lifts the front of the bike a bit which improves ground clearance. I cut out the rear axle slots another 12mm to shorten it further but wasn't able to get the rear sprocket I wanted and only got the wheelbase down to 1335mm. I'll get the sprockets I need to shorten it another 10mm before I take it out again.

I'm not running a coolant reservoir or fan either, which I forgot about after the first session. Instead of killing the engine as soon as I pulled into the pits I left it idling for a minute and it spat out 50ml of water when I shut it down. Topped it up and remembered to shut it down earlier and had no more problem there.

I haven't had a front guard on it since I built it but I put a GSXR600 fibreglass guard on on Friday arvo just to help make the bike look more stock than it is so the scrutineers didn't start going over it too closely. A coat of plastic primer, spray putty and black paint took all of five minutes and I threw it in as soon as it was touch dry :)

I realised also that the ancient 929 screen I've been running is so opaque now that I wouldn't be able to run a camera through it. So I whipped the new OEM screen off the GSXR1000 and put that on :)
Can't find my camera cable so I'll get a new one today and I'll post a link when I get some footage up.

My mate's bikes were the '81 GSX1100E I raced for him in '03 when I blew it up. It's more of a stunt bike than a track bike really but the engine is very strong. And a bitsa GSX1100E that his mate has been putting together out of an abundant supply of parts from various bikes. It started with an engine and a GSX750 frame and grew from there. This was the first time it had been ridden as it's not licenced and only got brakes and chain last week. The rear sprocket is so small he was only getting up to third gear :) She was awesome all day, although he lost the rear brake early on (I didn't even know he was using it) and the starter clutch likes to mess with your head a bit :)

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad you got out, I was starting to think you spend all your time on computers. :)

I was starting to think that myself :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Dedication! Well done.
Couldnt handle that anymore. Used to travel over the Blue Mountains to Sydney tracks. Use the trailer or ute these days.
$100 is a great price. What track did you go to?
Regards
Chip

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dedication! Well done.
Couldnt handle that anymore. Used to travel over the Blue Mountains to Sydney tracks. Use the trailer or ute these days.
$100 is a great price. What track did you go to?
Regards
Chip

Oops :)
Collie, south of Perth.
track

Attachments

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I do not check tire pressures very often.. Beginning of season is really the only time. When they get low you notice, so thats life.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lax about it myself :hmm:

I think you develop feel for the tyre pressures over time so you don't actually need to check them. You know when they're a couple psi low.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I think you develop feel for the tyre pressures over time so you don't actually need to check them. You know when they're a couple psi low.
Awesome story, thanks for sharing, this has been a slow riding year for me, lots of things going on but tonight I am heading out with an old friend for a scream down to Niagara Falls--can't wait to kick his 954 arse!!!!!!!!:rotfl:

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

You'll love this Macca :)
Tyre pressures are 26.5R and 19.0F :)

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:eek: Well, on the plus side, they would have warmed up fairly quickly Larry.:rolleyes:

Indeed they did :)
I wouldn't normally run the front that low in the wet as I don't like the tyre to flatten too much under brakes to minimise aquaplaning. If I'd been running even a slow race pace I would've had to raise the pressures I'm sure. This day was all about having some fun and helping my mates get out there, but I think I'm hooked again!
Race licence renewal paperwork is happening as I type :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts