Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:goodmod: Fresh off the victory over the "Thunk", and inspired by the tales of Hondagaltoo's courageous use of a soldering iron during her "brow" signal mod, I ventured forth onto the field of mechanical uncertainty once more. Fortified with a breakfast comprised mostly of sausage, and fully utilizing the axiom that ignorance is bliss, I advanced once more on my poor bike. Well...after a trip to Orchard Supply and Hardware, where I stood in aisle seven, electrical, mesmerized by the choices and colors of connectors, female and male ends, etc. I was particularly amused with the "butt" splicers. I don't know why. Finally, a concerned employee, lets call him "Tim", offerred his expertise in "butt" splicing technology. "What kind of connectors are you working with?" Don't know. "Well what gauge wire will you be working with?" Huh? ---You get the picture. Hell, I didn't even know If I had ordered the correct flush mounts from LP.
Armed with virtually every electrical connecting gizmoid available, black silicone, and a $20 soldering iron, I returned home to begin the process.
:highclap: Did it! Don't really know how even now. "Butt" I tell you, for two and a half hours I was a cursing, splicing fool, marvelling at the genius that came up with the incredible heat shrinking splicer thingy. All the wires are taped and tucked away nicely. I have to say that the bulb barely fit into the space designated. I had to spend some anxious moments enlarging the cutout with my trusty soldering iron. Don't know how I'm goin to get the bulbs out if they need replacing. It works and looks great. The blink rate is the same as before.
Now I have these holes in my fairing where there once were signal stalks. Perfect space for a bottle cap opener...?
Crikey! It's good to be alive! :D

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Congrats!
Who has that useless without pics emoticon?:D :highclap: :cycle:

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Glad it worked out for ya!!:highclap: Yeah, changing the bulb will be a PITA, as I ran a bead of silicone around mine to ensure that they stay put.

Here is just the thing to fill those holes where your stalk signals used to be. I have them wired into the same wire that the brow lights are wired into (the turn signal wire), so they and the brow lights blink together. These have a fast blink rate when used alone, but once I wired in the LP brow lights, the blink rate returned to normal.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks HGToo.

I'm not sure I want to install lights there again. Not sure what I'll do at this point. Besides, it would be tempting fate to get into the "butt" splicing again so soon, ya know? ;)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Figment,

Too dark to do pictures by the time I cleaned up. Pics tomorrow. :cycle:

·
Registered
339 Posts
yes!
pics!!!!!!:highclap:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pics! Okay?!! Jeebus!

These are the connectors on the left side for the turn signals. The right side are Blue and White. (White connectors are for ground only) I used the tab release built into the connectors to release the ground, signal, and running light wires (3). I then removed the single nut and bracket holding the OEM stalks in place. This allowed me to slowly pull stalks and wires free from the bike. I had to "help" along the connector ends as they threaded their way thru, but it was easy. I then removed the lens from the OEM's, took out the bulb and removed the metal plate beneath. The three wires were exposed and I cut them there. (I wasn't sure how much wire length I would need, so I gave myself as much as I could).

I had ordered LP Flushmount I signals, Single Filament #122-9686. These came with a clear lens but an amber bulb. The bulb, socket and wires were my goal so I removed the lenses, used a screwdriver to 'pop" the socket free from the backplate, and I was in business.

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Butt splice!

I now had the OEM wires with "male" connecting bits at the end and the Flushmount wires still attached to socket/bulb. I used the amazing "pink" butt splicers pictured below to join this group. Make sure you are clear on what wire is what. There are only three. The green wire (with the white male connector) is the ground in both cases (both sides). The color wire with the white stripe is the running light "hot". ***I terminated it with a twist and electricians tape.*** The remaining solid color is your signal "hot". There were only two wires on the Flushmount side--a hot (red) and a black (ground). After burning my thumb with flame used to "Shrinkwrap" Butt splicer, I reconnected the male ends with the female connectors up top. Now I had an 18" length of wire and socket/bulb dangling alongside the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Drama!

This is where the soldering iron came in. (Thanks Hondagaltoo!) The small, round moulding on the shoulders of your front fairing backing is your target. It will just, and I mean just, fit the bulb and socket. The target/ round moulding is about an inch in diameter, maybe a bit more. Others have drilled it out, but like Hondagaltoo, I was concerned that black plastic bits would shower into the headlight space. So...the soldering iron. It worked pretty good, but it took some time to get a good circle burned out and wide enough to just allow the bulb. Finally, with help from long socket wrench sockets which I would insert from time to time to "wedge" the hole open a bit more, I had a round hole big enough to allow the bulb to pass but snug enough to hold the socket (which I had built up with a wrap of electrician's tape to match the diameter of the bulb). I used Black silicone to bead/seal the edge of the exposed socket. Then covered socket end and wrapped wires with elecrtical tape. I am going to clean things up a bit with another wrap of tape and possibly more silicone, but it works for now. After that I just wedged wires into the moulding cutouts made for such things, tucked connectors back into fairing inners and cleaned up. Note** I did test the bulbs on several occasions during the process. It will be a PITA to replace the bulb(s) now but it is a great mod.

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It works!!

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I still think a bottle opener would fit just fine in there.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
zenblader said:
I still think a bottle opener would fit just fine in there.
LOL @ bottle opener. :pointup: See, you did it, butt connectors and all. :cheers:

I had an issue with a fast blink rate when I installed my front lights. After I hooked them into the side turn signals, the blink rate decreased to normal.

Let us know how you decided to use the side holes. :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Looks good!!!

Funny thing was looking at the post heading on the right side as I entered the General Forum section and it said "Did the HondaGal". I was thinking that should be down in the NWS section. :0

1 - 20 of 109 Posts