Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Diesel or Gasoline - For a pickup truck?

• Diesel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gasoline

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
got gas because toyota (tundra) doesn't make a diesel and if they did, I probably couldn't afford it.

My preference would be a 3/4 ton duty truck with a diesel and a manual 6...

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ConqSoft : Depends on what you're going to use it for.  If it will be used as a daily commuter, I'd go with gas.  If it's primarily for towing, go diesel.
Why would you say that? Diesel get better milage and the prices of fuel doesn't fluctuate as much.

·
Registered
379 Posts
When I started buying diesel pickups fuel was about $1 per gallon and gas was 1.30. Diesel's get as good or better fuel economy than gas in full sized pickups. Diesel engines last longer, I've got one with about 400,000 miles and one with 150,000. The main thing is regular service, air and fuel filters, fuel conditioner in the winter, regular oil changes, stuff like that. If it gets subzero where you live in winter, you have to run #1 fuel or use fuel conditioner, the wax in diesel will gel when it gets cold. This is not a good thing. When they do break down it's more expensive to fix them, but they don't break down as often.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
ConqSoft : I heard that it's not good to use diesels for stop/go and on/off driving.  
thats starting them and killing the ignition... Leave them running, they'll be good...

Diesels do get superior fuel mileage too! Loaded or unloaded... Only downsize for them is the diesel will cost a significant amount more initially. I did the calculations a while back and I wouldn't break even until like 82K miles or something...

So I went toyota and gas...

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Also, diesels can be a bit annoying as a daily driver.....they are noisy, and smelly..... after awhile it gets on your nerves and those around you....

My next tow truck will be a diesel, but won't be used as a daily driver....

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
What cc said. They do get a lot better mileage, but I wouldn't want one as a daily driver. I can't afford a separate tow vehicle or I'd have one for towing only. So, I did the Tundra thing, too.

Hey cc, did you see the new Tundra that's coming out next year? Full 4 door crew cab with a full-length 6'4' bed!! Cool, as the other crew cabs seem to have 4-5 foot beds. I will not upgrade, I will not upgrade...

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
HondaGalToo : Hey cc, did you see the new Tundra that's coming out next year?  Full 4 door crew cab with a full-length 6'4' bed!!  Cool, as the other crew cabs seem to have 4-5 foot beds.  I will not upgrade, I will not upgrade...
Yes, I saw it and yes, it does depress me...

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
ccwilli3 : Yes, I saw it and yes, it does depress me...  
Yeah, that and that it has some other nice features that weren't available on mine, which I (and probably everyone else) suggested on a survey. Things like the homelink and heated seats. I'd love to have those and now it's an option. Crap.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
I'll just reiterate what ccwilli said:
It typically takes over 70,000 miles to break even on a diesel.
If it is a truck you will keep for a long time, and haul heavy loads with get the diesel.
If not, don't.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Like others have said, if you don't haul a lot, it's hard to justify the extra initial expense of a diesel (an additional $5k for the engine, plus another $1.5-2k for the heavy duty tranny).  Also, diesel fuel is not available at all gas stations, which can be a hassle.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I've read that Daimler-Chrysler and 'other manufacturers' (the article didn't specify) are looking at expanding the use of diesel engines in passenger vehicles. Diesels are getting quieter, and like others have said, they generally have advantages over gasoline engines in longevity and efficiency.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts