Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think those are the years for F2 and F3. A friend is looking for a F2 or 3 motor to put in a sprint car, and was wondering what differences if any to look for, or if there is a "best" year for them.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
The biggest difference between the F2 and F3 years is the F3 had a better carburetor setup and the CAI airbox, along with different timing and cam profiles. The 97-98 F3 engine differed from the 95-96 by having a deeper oil pan and different cam configuration.
The basic engine setup; the case, cylinders, head are really the same, but there were slight upgrades with each 'version' of the engine. Ultimately the latest config. - the 97-98 - would be the best bet, but if the price is really a big difference, the 95-96 can be made the same relatively cheaply.
If he can find an F2 engine really cheap just go with it as one could still add the F3 differences to it. There wasn't much change at all to the F2 engine between the years, it was mostly chassis differences.
The engine overall is very strong and can be built to produce over 100bhp quite easily and inexspensively. For a few more hundred you can be in the teens. My '96 was 101bhp at the wheel and I didn't really have that much work into it.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input, BDA. He's mainly looking for "cheap" right now, so he can learn how to build it. If the differences are negligible, if you can work on one you can work on any year, right? I figure they're all bulletproof so it's hard to go wrong.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Serial Thriller said:
If the differences are negligible, if you can work on one you can work on any year, right?
Yes, and they are actually fairly easy to work on. Plus there is an excellent resource for go-fast tricks with Mr. Kyle. Good luck to him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts