Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the major benifit or lack of it to go from a 190 to a 180 rear tire? From what I have read it seems like the 180 will be better transitioning into and out of the turns but is their any other benefit? Would it be a less stable at speed over a 190 or is it not noticeable? Sorry for the stupid questions but my experience is with the more standard 180 never really dealt with a 190 tire before.

Tom

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Consider that Honda chose the 190 as the stock width for their latest liter bikes.

Besides 'falling in' more easily, 180 tires are lighter, and cheaper. The contact patch they provide, however, is slightly smaller than a 190's. Ultimately it comes down to rider preference, but IMHO you should give the stock 190 size a try before switching.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
The main reasons are really twofold. And really only come into play on the racetrack.
First off, tradtionally there has been a MUCH better tire selection in the 180 width. Tire companies are starting to catch up, however.
Second - yes, the bike turns in a little faster with the 180. It is noticable on the track at speed espescially with quick transitions. However, the 954 already turns in faster than most people can think about it, and shouldn't be made any faster until one is plenty experienced with the bike.
It is in all honesty better to stick with the 190 on the street.

·
Registered
768 Posts
The 180 makes the bike feel a bit lighter on its feet. I have a 929, not a 954. The 180 tracks a little more nervously at speed, especially when it's brand new, but you will get used to in a day. I get them partly because they are cheaper, and partly because the bike turns more easily with them. They are fine on the track. At the speeds I run at, I can't tell much difference in traction.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
If street riding, stick with the 190. On the track, the 180 is the way to go. Nevermind the $$ difference, 180 make the bike turn in faster and the contact patch difference is negligable. The bike sticks the same. The GMD Computrack guy recommends the 180 as well (sweet numbers and all).

·
Registered
661 Posts
BDA116 : Ultimately it comes down to rider preference, but IMHO you should give the stock 190 size a try before switching.

190 on the street, Yeah if your drag racing....If you want your bike to handle, trash the big fat, flat 190. Try it first so you know how bad it sucks. The 180 is also taller, this changes the chassis geometry..For the better.

Why pay more money for a 190?

I doubt any of you guys running 190, ride hard....or you'd be running a 180! Most racers run a 180 until they start losing traction then move up to a 190/55 (NOT the stock 190/50). I'm not even going to start on that topic. Forget I mentioned the 190/55.

·
Registered
925 Posts
02FBlade : Quote (BDA116 @ Sep. 18 2003, 9:16pm)Ultimately it comes down to rider preference, but IMHO you should give the stock 190 size a try before switching.

Most racers run a 180 until they start losing traction then move up to a 190/55  I'm not even going to start on that topic.  Forget I mentioned the 190/55.
Well ya did, and your 190X55 are required when 180s 'run-out-of-traction' is highly debatable as Dunlop makes NO such size---nor does Mich---so if you like Presmellis yes, most of the top AFM guys that use DOT tires --use 180 GP-A Dunlops

·
Registered
548 Posts
02FBlade : 190 on the street, Yeah if your drag racing....If you want your bike to handle, trash the big fat, flat 190.  Try it first so you know how bad it sucks.  The 180 is also taller, this changes the chassis geometry..For the better.
Don't let anyone scare you away from running the 190 rear. Honda put it on there for a reason. Plus the 954 turns plenty quick especially if you are using stock fork springs with 50 mm. sag up front. More contact patch is a good thing. Not to mention the 180 profile is radically changed by putting it on a wider rim.

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is it safe to say a 190 tire is basically fine for street riding its on the track that the 180 really comes into play.  I enjoy a somewhat aggressive style of street riding but in reality not to often do I go blazing into a corner unless I know what waits around the bend b/c you never know what going to be in there waiting for you.  In this case would a 190 really be that much different then a 180?  I would think the 180 would be more of a track tire to go corner to corner as quick as possible

Tom

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Keep the 190 on your street 929/954.
The 929/954 already turns in WAY faster than you need it to.
Those of us who have been racing for ten years (on this board there are very few) may have a reason to switch to a 180 on the track, but the real benefit of the 180 on the track is the tire selection - particularly in slicks.
Again, reference my earlier post (that has been misquoted by someone else). Keep the 190 on your bike if you are riding it on the street. It has absolutely nothing to do with drag racing, but the design of the bike. Going from a SECAII to a 929/954 you will have much faster turn-in than you are used to, and you won't need (or want) it to turn in any faster.

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree that going from my little Seca to a 929 is going to be a big difference that why I plan on leaving it stock for a while. The whole tire thing was more curiosity then anything. Like I said earlier I have ridden mostly bikes with the 180 tire and was just wondering what the differences were between that and the 190. Thanks to all for the info.

Tom

·
Registered
280 Posts
BDA116 : Those of us who have been racing for ten years (on this board there are very few) may have a reason to switch to a 180 on the track
Damn, I didn't know I had to race for ten years to ride a 180 tire.  Better run out to the garage and switch back to that big, fat, slow-turning 190 B4 my Sunday ride.  

BDA116 : It has absolutely nothing to do with drag racing, but the design of the bike.
Honestly, I always thought the 190 had more to do with sales than anything else.  'Dood, it looks soooo kewl!'

·
Registered
61 Posts
CanyonCarver didnt get that 190 back on BTW! He doesnt need the extra contact patch provided by the 190 as his knee is down to provide a third contact patch. I know,and it can be verified by ' On the edge ' (also on a 180..Im pretty sure)!

Im running a 180 for the first time on the back of my 954 (though Ive used them on 3 other bikes in the past) and I like it alot.

Ive gone through 4 190 rear tires in about 4100 miles and will stay with the 180!! cheaper ,better turn in, more tire brand/model choices.

My suggestion though would be to get the suspension sorted out first. The 180 could cause some stability issues with the stinky stock front end!! reads: steering Damper,respring and revalve.

My 2¢

1 - 14 of 14 Posts