Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wirelessly posted (SonyEricsson s710a: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Well, all you fellow nerds out there should know that I am about 15 ft from Alex and Kevin from Diggnation... They are filming live here in San Diego tonight. Johnny Johnny from Tiki Bar is also here.

Good times...

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Funny nerds. Seems like an oxymoron to me but, :idunno: '

Wacko's at work yesterday actually figured out what the PSI the impact of a rain drop had on me at 100 mph while riding the motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I am sorry...I was assuming we were talking Northern Hemisphere. After recalculation the African variety is 53.7mph.

However, hitting a Minnesota mosquito is like hitting a brick wall at 36.5mph which equates to a downpour with hail.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
What was the answer?

Having to really guess at the mass of the raindrop 'cause there was no real way of knowing and assuming a 20 mph head wind I was going into we came up with an instantaneous impact force of around 52 newtons. Remember that a newton is .224809 lbs of force so, multiply that out and 11 lbs of force hit me. Now, always keep in mind that this is a reactive force in that the drop hit me and bounced back off the jacket. Not like when a bullet hits you and bounces YOU 20 feet. (another story related to the new Superman movie but I will spare you that one)

So, what brought this up you ask? Was telling them how I was boot, scoot and, booging to get home and hopin' that Johnny Law had something better to do than tracking me. When all of the sudden, BAM, felt like a wasp sting through my rocket mesh jacket on the arm. So, the math dude and the EE start into how much force this rain drop had at the instantaneous impact of my arm. I almost saw two nerds go at fist to cuffs over the F=M(A) and Newton/Slug factoring.

Anywho. All I know is this, don't enter a rain storm at any cost while on a motorcycle. Unless of course you are on your dirtbike. Then all bets are off.

Disclaimer: These results were based on non-scientific facts and measurements.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Since we were too blonde to remember to bring a camera, one of the ladies in front of us was nice enough to take pictures of my friend and I.

We couldn't get up to the front to get pics of us with Kevin and Alex, but we were right in front of the screen they were projecting on. When Alex saw that what we were doing, he put his hand up as if patting me on the head.

Needless to say there were not too many sober people around...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts