Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a digital camera and need a little help. I just want to be able to take decent pics. Nothing really special just good quality. What exactly do I need to be looking for( brand, megapixels, etc.)? :idunno: Also I'd rather not spend a ton of money. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
SORTAFAST said:
I am looking to buy a digital camera and need a little help. I just want to be able to take decent pics. Nothing really special just good quality. What exactly do I need to be looking for( brand, megapixels, etc.)? :idunno: Also I'd rather not spend a ton of money. Any help would be appreciated.

What are you going to do with the photos you take? Print them? email them? For prints, how big do you think you're going to want to do?
Family snapshots? Sports/action?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nhfirefighter13 said:
What are you going to do with the photos you take? Print them? email them? For prints, how big do you think you're going to want to do?
Family snapshots? Sports/action?
I will mainly just save them to my computer. I may print a few out from time to time. Also I will be using it primarily for just fun photos( family, parties, etc.).

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
SORTAFAST said:
I will mainly just save them to my computer. I may print a few out from time to time. Also I will be using it primarily for just fun photos( family, parties, etc.).
Sounds to me like you need something compact, easy to use, and fast:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/sony_u30.html
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/ex-z3.html
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/optios.html
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/ex-z4.html
etc...

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
I have a Canon Digital Rebel that I love but is probably more than what you want. I also have an old Olympus 3030Zoom that I was happy with.

I would recommend a minimum of 3 megapixel, I have 16x20 pictures on the wall that are from my Olympus that get rave reviews from friends and family. A pro might object but fine for my use, although at that size you cannot crop.

Also if you are shooting kids make sure it can shoot sequences.

If you want some samples at full res from either camera PM me.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
I have a Canon Elph S400 (now replaced by the S410 I think) and love it. Small size, awesome photos,half-decent manual-mode shooting and an ok auto mode too, 4.0 megapixel, Li-Ion rechargeable, it really packs in alot of features in it's packaging, but isn't so small it feels brittle or chinsey.

One thing that was imperative to me (as this camera goes everywhere with me) was having something small that I could fit in a bag or pocket if needed, yet still be able to startup in a hurry and click off some photos if the need arose. No complaints thus far, and I have been an Olympus fan for many years - this is my first piece of equipment from Canon and I'm quite pleased with it. My second choice would have been an Olympus 4.0mp stylus (but it was bulky and its movies didn't have sound at the time) or a 5.0mp coolpix (Nikon) that was just coming out at the time (that I forget the model # of).

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
Guy at work has a Fuji and it's decent, but the cost of the Xd memory is still a little high (comparatively speaking) IMO. Picture quality is fairly good and he's had it about 1.5 years with no issues, but it does spend most of its time in a backpack. I don't know the model but it was about 300$ when he got it. My agreeable gripe is inline with 2OHOH's that its a little on the bigger side for a compact camera. But it all depends what you want to do - just remember there are as many retakes as you have memory cards for, no film to burn up, so you're likely to find more "reasons" for photos then you would with a std. 35mm film-eating camera.

What is your primary means of getting pics from the camera? do you have a PC with usb2 or firewire? or will you be picking up a media reader and moving the card(s) between pc and the reader? Also what OS will it be used with primarily? Some cams are designed for WinXP and may require some rather "thick" software to be used effectively with other OS's (or use of a ~15$ media reader makes things much easier).

Just wondering...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
What is your primary means of getting pics from the camera? do you have a PC with usb2 or firewire? or will you be picking up a media reader and moving the card(s) between pc and the reader? Also what OS will it be used with primarily? Some cams are designed for WinXP and may require some rather "thick" software to be used effectively with other OS's (or use of a ~15$ media reader makes things much easier).

I have absolutely no idea what all that stuff means. I can see I have alot to learn about this camera business. Really all I want to do is take pics and save them to my computer. :eek: Oh, my OS is XP. I do know that! :clap:

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
Ok, I suck @ XP home :D ...but I will say I'm taking this in a bad direction now because I'm thinking of all the crap that mattered to me @ the time of my cam purchase, sorry.
The ability to transfer images fast was imperative for me. My cam was USB2 compatible and my PC wasn't so I had to make some accomidations to ensure I wouldn't be copying images all day. Im guessing if your PC is relatively new, it has USB2 as well and this is pretty much a moot point :D

I guess it comes back to your intended use of the cam. While the Fuji above may be "big" by my standards, you may not plan on carrying around all the time so size/weight may not be an issue. Like everything else - the more features you cram into a smaller space, the more you pay. You can get a decent 4.0 mp olympus with a host of good features for ~200$ but its almost as big as a fullsize SLR camera. If being used for family events or taking ebay photos etc = cool. But for taking on the bike etc = not so cool.

Am I babbling endlessly or actually asking questions here? I think its time for sleep...but visit cnet.com if you haven't already. They have reviews on cameras from editors and buyers, and pricing info too, pretty cool.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts