Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Later this year I'll be taking a trip overseas as part of my MBA program. I'd like to purchase a new camera before I go. Budget is $1k. I'd like to stick w/ Compact Flash as a storage medium.

I've been thinking Cannon EOS Rebel digital SLR, but haven't shopped. I'm not buying soon as the budget isn't there yet.

Also, I'm not a photo geek. I want something that I can do cool stuff w/ but not need to dedicate my life to photography to get good photos.

Any recomendations? :allears:

HD

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
ND4SPD said:
Why not just get a high MP point and shoot? Something that's compact, and simple. Do you want to be lugging a big camera/bag around?
I can tell you if travel is what you want this camera for, take a serious look at ND's advice.

You'll be far more likely to always carry your little digital camera than lug a whole SLR bag unless you are a dedicated photo weenie. This shit gets heavy and annoying over a whole day of sightseeing...plus, it'll make you a nervous wreck.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ND4SPD said:
Why not just get a high MP point and shoot? Something that's compact, and simple. Do you want to be lugging a big camera/bag around?
I want to have the ability to buy a high zoom lense if I want. Also, this camera will be the "we just had our first kid" camera as well.

HD

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
After reading some of the above, and not really considering the word 'travel' until LTL mentioned it: I'd say check out a Canon S2 IS or whatever the current then version is before you go abroad...it's an intelligent Point and Shoot with SLR like adjustability and a few features...and a 10x optical (stabilized) zoom, it's a Canon, and kicks ass, and wont use even half your budget, or kill your back with its glass ;)

You know for what you'd spend on it, you could afford an SD450, really nice cases and memory for both cam's too. Then you'd have the best of both worlds...almost :)

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I love my Canon EOS dig rebel... the newer ones I have heard nothing but good things about. I recommend the 28-105 lens as the generic lens... that gives you lots of range to go after that...

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
I just picked up an A620 a couple weeks ago and love it. Apparently you can add auxillary lenses to it, although I haven't and really don't plan to. Fairly inexpensive and very compact. Excellent picture quality and easy to use.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
P&S is the way to go if you're looking for something to play with and take with you on excursions.

If you're set on a D-SLR and have about a year or so, keep your eyes on the Canon 20D. Canon just released the 30D so prices should be coming down and you could even find a good clean used 20D for under a grand in short time. The 20D will destroy any P&S on the market without breaking a sweat.

Now...Budget. Does the $1k include a lens? Batteries? CF cards? Camera bag? Media reader? Software for post processing/resizing? This is stuff you'll need to factor in when going the SLR route.

A nice, used 20D with a couple of inexpensive Sigma lenses will be in the ballpark, probably a little over your $1k limit, not including cards and nice bag.

Of course, this is all moot if you have no interest in buying a used camera. The Rebel is your only option at that point and it is a good camera.

Photography is a lot like motorcycling, it can get very expensive very quickly and just as addicting.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
RRWANTR said:
Go to dpreview.com and check out some reviews with sample pics etc.

I'm currently tryiing to decide between the rebel xt and the new 30D.

Buy a 20D. Same as the 30D for less money. The "new" features of the 30 aren't worth the money and have nothing to do with image quality.

·
Registered
461 Posts
:pointup: Totally a Canon lover.
Honestly, I have Nikon's system so I don't have any Canon stuff. My bro has Canon stuff. I think they are both just as good. Nikon actually has some cool software that lets you "correct" barrel distortion based on which lens, zoom combination you used. I made some really weird shots of Stonehenge with the fisheye.
I don't know if Canon has that or not.
But I am not necessarily advocating for Nikon at all, its just my realm.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a Canon 10d and i love it, as NH said you can get a 20d (newer version more mp) and have a camera that will take awesome pics..for me my 6.3 mp is enough....good luck :thumb:

·
Registered
461 Posts
That's what I'm saying. It would be ludicrous to try to maintain 2 systems. You can use 35mm nikkor lenses on digital slr cameras, but the size of the sensor in the camera is different than the film area you shoot on a 35, so there is a funky conversion factor there. Basically, it works, but not that well.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
schnogg said:
That's what I'm saying. It would be ludicrous to try to maintain 2 systems. You can use 35mm nikkor lenses on digital slr cameras, but the size of the sensor in the camera is different than the film area you shoot on a 35, so there is a funky conversion factor there. Basically, it works, but not that well.
:huh:

Not sure what you mean there... I'm talking about Canon Vs Nikon. You generally stick with one brand. That is not to say you can't or don't buy other brand lenses, but you buy the ones that are compatible with the Canon or Nikon bodies. Some (most I think) digital slr's have smaller sensors than 35 mm, so you do have to convert your effective lens range. But that is no big deal.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Sorry, I was basically just agreeing with you.
Buy one system and stick with it. Nikon or Canon. I have Nikon so :thumb: to Nikon!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts