Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Yea, I saw this on the news this morning. One eyewitness interviewed said the guy just appeared from the back of the stage, walked up to Darrell, shouted something and shot four rounds into him. He also said that the crowd was confused at first, wondering if this was part of the show.

Pretty sad.

I was wondering though, how did the Police arrive so fast to catch him still "actively shooting", and eventually shoot him dead? :huh:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SuperDave said:
Yea, I saw this on the news this morning. One eyewitness interviewed said the guy just appeared from the back of the stage, walked up to Darrell, shouted something and shot four rounds into him. He also said that the crowd was confused at first, wondering if this was part of the show.

Pretty sad.

I was wondering though, how did the Police arrive so fast to catch him still "actively shooting", and eventually shoot him dead? :huh:
They were talking about the incident on Stern this morning and somebody said the guy was pissed because Pantera had broken up and thought Dimebag was responsible (that's the kind of individual were dealing with here :loony: )

I believe the officer was on site the incident took place!!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Either it's way too early in the morning or they just updated that link.

You're right, the cop was in the vicinity.

Mercurio said an officer in the vicinity heard the call of shots fired shortly after 10 p.m., snuck in the back door of the venue and confronted the gunman onstage. When the officer took the stage, he observed one victim and the gunman holding a hostage by the neck. The officer opened fire on the male suspect, whose name has not been released pending notification of next of kin.

·
Registered
89 Posts
There goes all chance of Pantera getting back together.

DD is a legend, he will be missed by the music community.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
one guy on either Pantera or Damageplans message board said its the worst day in metal history. sure it sucks he was killed but obviously this guy doesn't know metal history very good. I can think of a few incidents that were bigger moments, such as when Cliff Burton from Metallica died in the bus accident. And people who know what they're talking about would never call him a great guitarist. atleast the fucker who shot him got killed too (not that its good that anyone got killed)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CBR929RE said:
one guy on either Pantera or Damageplans message board said its the worst day in metal history. sure it sucks he was killed but obviously this guy doesn't know metal history very good. I can think of a few incidents that were bigger moments, such as when Cliff Burton from Metallica died in the bus accident. And people who know what they're talking about would never call him a great guitarist. atleast the fucker who shot him got killed too (not that its good that anyone got killed)
I have to disagree with you on this one!! Pantera was a band that never sold out or looked for mass commercial success!! Being a former musician I can tell you (in IMO) that Dimebag was a great guitarist, his writing had a lot of soul and feeling in it. Just look at all the various guitar magazines covers he was featured on. To each his own.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
I'm not a musician, but I think he was a great guitarist too.

Rock on Bubba, that song gets me fired up any time I hear it. I'll have to listen to some Pantera tonight...RIP DD. :(

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
CBR929RE said:
were bigger moments, such as when Cliff Burton from Metallica died in the bus accident. And people who know what they're talking about would never call him a great guitarist.
Not that I wish to get on the "what sucks more" debate, but the simple fact that Cliff Burtons death was an *accident* and this was intentionally premedidated changes the level of the event greatly IMO.

Unfortunately it will be yet another reason why 2,000,000 parents don't let their kids go to club shows because its dangerous. But won't cancel their Mtv because if its on TV it must be ok. :rolleyes:

That whole thing sucks, RIP DD and the fans that died for being there.

i have to assume there will be some counseling after this too, if not for the events leading up to it, but the officers intervention alone*:
..the officer was able to kill the shooter with a single shotgun blast..
This took place on a stage at a club show with ~250 people. Im guessing that stage is about 25' across and if this guy was in the middle, cop at sidestage...ugh.

* - Not that I'm condeming such in any way shape or form.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
soon2b954 said:
I have to disagree with you on this one!! Pantera was a band that never sold out or looked for mass commercial success!! Being a former musician I can tell you (in IMO) that Dimebag was a great guitarist, his writing had a lot of soul and feeling in it. Just look at all the various guitar magazines covers he was featured on. To each his own.
oh no don't get me wrong, I'm not saying anything bad about Pantera. I liked them back in high school (they're still goood but I haven't listened to them in so long cause I don't have any of their stuff on cds, just tapes). They actually kinda went the opposite way of selling out, they were originalls a hair metal band then switched to what we know Pantera as.

I used to play bass myself and I know he was a lot better than me but I also know there are tons of guitarists that are better and more proficient than him. Guitar magazine covers don't mean a lot, when you have a new album come out or have a huge tour you have a good chance of being on one. I'm not saying he was bad, just not top level.

SSG when I read that someone said it was the worst day in metal history I took that as saying his death is worse and its a bigger loss than any before. I just don't think thats true. The way the person dies I don't think has anything to do it. Sure his death was a premeditated act of violence but lets face it Cliff did a lot more for music than DD IMO. I'm not saying one was more tragic than the other. I think if you really get technical I would have to say when Chuck Schuldiner died that was the worst day in metal history. and Randy Rhodes death would be second.

I'm Broken has one of my favorite guitar licks of all time.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
HEADBANGERS BALL
On Saturday, December 11, MTV2's Headbangers Ball will air a special
episode focusing on the life and music of Dimebag Darrell. Megadeth's
Dave Mustaine will be the special guest host for the episode.

URANIUM
On Saturday, December 11, Fuse TV's Uranium will air a special tribute
episode devoted to the music, career and fans of Dimebag Darrell. The
episode will be followed by a broadcast of last month's performance by
Damageplan in Dallas.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts