Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
ConqSoft said:
Did the speed test on their site. Wonder if I should switch over? :hmm: :rolleyes:
:eek: I feel sorry for anybody that actually does 'switch to direcway'. Well, that is unless they enjoy 400ms or greater latency. :)

Edit: Conq, what kind of connection do you have? Thats incredible bandwidth!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
ConqSoft said:
Yeah, Direcway is $59.95/month. It's good if you're in the middle of nowhere and have no other choice for high speed...
Satellite is my only broadband option right now (just North of nowhere), but I can't get myself to pay that price for that bandwidth. Hope something else comes along soon or I may have to cave. 24Kbaud dial-up ain't gettin' 'er done. :whine:

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
I had to use DirecWay for a few months. Do NOT get it. Ever. You MIGHT get decent download speeds on occasion, but the upload speeds suck.
You are much better off with dialup, as 24K is faster than the upload speeds you'll ever see. And the latency kills any speed advantage over dialup on the download side.
It was the only "broadband" option available to me for a few months, so I went for it and regret it 100%.
They shouldn't call it broadband. The speed is nonexistent and their service department is even worse.
Stick with your dialup.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
About two years ago. Maybe their service has gotten better, I don't know. But I really had a horrible experience with them. I even tried all sorts of tweaks to get some decent speed, but it just didn't work.
Then there were all the days it would just flat out stop working. That would really piss me off. More than once I was in the middle of remote administration of a router or firewall and the service would just drop and wouldn't come back up for hours. And these were clear summer days.
I'm glad your friend has had luck with them, but I could never recommend it.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
BDA, Thanks for the info...strengthens my resolve. Unfortunately it's very unlikely they'll ever run cable or DSL out here. Need BPL or wireless!!

·
Registered
559 Posts
I just got a flyer in the mail for Verizon FiOs fiber-optic. They claim 5Mbps down and 2 Mbps up for $34.95 or 15 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up for $44.95. Not sure if that's a good price or not but the speeds look impressive.

·
Registered
103 Posts
BDA116 said:
About two years ago. Maybe their service has gotten better, I don't know. But I really had a horrible experience with them. I even tried all sorts of tweaks to get some decent speed, but it just didn't work.
Then there were all the days it would just flat out stop working. That would really piss me off. More than once I was in the middle of remote administration of a router or firewall and the service would just drop and wouldn't come back up for hours. And these were clear summer days.
I'm glad your friend has had luck with them, but I could never recommend it.
I'll second that.

We've had it for almost two years now. Business class @ $100 per month per satellite (we were using two, now we only use one, as DSL is running close enough to one location). It's horrible if you try to have more than a couple people use it at a time; probably acceptable for a couple people, if nothing else is available. Try to keep people completely off the Internet if at all possible, to keep ads (the auto-refreshing types), IM programs, etc. from deteriorating what bandwidth you have.

The bandwidth speeds given are maximum/"up to" values. Even when you can get those fast values, the connection will usually time-out. Websites require several refreshes before you see the page. It almost always takes at least 3 or 4 tries to download a file (such as drivers, etc., even if only 1MB). Some websites just won't show up (time-out, apparently).

To get it to work best (which still isn't that good), I've had to manually & gradually drop the MTU on the router down to around 950 (sometimes websites like mail.com won't work at all until I do).

We were originally pointed to their newest satellite, but since our performance was so bad, they eventually re-set us up onto one of their older satellites (which is actually faster and has a more powerful signal).

It doesn't go completely down all that frequently, but much more than any other type of service will. You not only have to be aware of weather storms in your own area, but in the area of Washington DC, where Direcway's NOC/satellite dishes are.

BroadbandReports.com reviews

1 - 19 of 19 Posts